Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   Suggest A Bike For My Commute. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/4066-suggest-bike-for-my-commute.html)

Kreb_Cycle 11-13-2006 11:45 AM

Re: Suggest A Bike For My Commute.

I know you are but what am I? Or something. I think it's the bike though.

Kreb_Cycle 11-13-2006 11:51 AM

The 500 is virtually the same size as the 250 in terms of ergonomics, it's just faster. It's slightly bigger but you couldn't tell by looking at it.

HelterSkelter 11-13-2006 12:10 PM

Re: Suggest a bike for my commute

SV650 rider huh?

James_Brown 11-13-2006 12:14 PM

Wow, I didn't know that MBP collets put the interval up that high. That' great. Actually, I just checked MBP's site and it says 18,000 miles, but that's still great. I'm selling my Monster this Spring and replacing it with (most likely) a Multistrada. At my first service, I'm going for MBPs!

As for doing it myself, I hack away at the simple stuff (oil, brakes, minor electrics and body work, slip-ons), but I've held back beyond that. I don't get enough time to ride, so I'm willing to Pay for my free time by having someone else do the more time intensive maintenance while I'm at work. Or maybe it's just because I'm a bit ham-fisted. If you've got more time and/or are more adept than I, there are several videos and books out there that will show you how to check and adjust Duc valves. For those with decent skills, I don't believe it is anywhere near as difficult as it's cracked up to be.

MadScientistMatt 11-13-2006 04:14 PM

Trouble is, this bike is a total beater and would need just about everything either cleaned, replaced, rebuilt, or rechromed to look at all close to new. Not only would it cost me a couple grand, it would also take months of my spare time (or cost me way more than it's worth to pay someone else to do it). The main reason I wanted to get something different was to spend less time wrenching on it.

MadScientistMatt 11-13-2006 04:15 PM

I couldn't tell by sitting on it, either. The reason I mentioned the Ninja 250 and left off the 500 is that the 250 actually feels a little bit bigger than the 500... or maybe it's just slightly lower foot pegs.

staff 11-13-2006 05:13 PM

Second!

I second that.

-gabe

conchscooter 11-13-2006 06:23 PM

Any motorcycle with a final drive chain should be off the list. at a minimum 80 miles a day you will rack up sufficent miles to be fiddling contantly and cleaning after the thing.

One crazy idea I am falling in love with for a daily rider is a Vespa 250 ($6,000+ OTD) and there are several used GT200's coming ion the used market for $4,000-$5,000. Low maintenance 70mpg excellent weather protection and top speeds around 75/80 mph. The most rational lugaage carrying capacity of any 2-wheeler. Some people think they aren't sexy. Too bad.

fumanchu 11-13-2006 11:20 PM

two suggestions

if 5k is your limit, then may i suggest

a) a clean, pre-2000 suzuki bandit 600. the engine is tried and hyper reliable with regular oil changes. 78-ish hp. torquey enough for a 124mph top speed. good gas mileage. nice optics, however not a particularly flashy target for thievery. after market parts-galore for this model. for real world use, you will be more limited by your skill level than the bike's performance potential. at least i was/am/will remain for all eternity. bah.

or

b) a slightly used kawasaki 500 ninja (2004/5). these bikes are a shade over 5,000 USD brand new ($5,049 in fact), so a very clean used ninja will come in well under your budget. only 51 horsies, but very light, mangageable and lots o fun to ride. maintenance is very economical due to its venerable parallel twin. if you can live with the older style paint job, this is a slick bike.

cheers, and good luck in your quest.

NLJ 11-14-2006 04:37 AM

Although not known to be a terribly exciting bike the Honda Nighthawk is about as good a deal as your going to find. The engine is bulletproof as long as you keep up on oil changes you can't hurt it, it will outlive you. You can find them for well under your $5k budget and have plenty of money left over for new tires, oil change, tune-up, saddlebags of some sort and a steak dinner for you and the wife. The self adjusting valves are a dream come true and should be on every bike. I'm 6'3" and the Nighthawk fits me like a glove. Plenty of aftermarket bolt on floating around ebay as well as parts, not that you'll need them.

Keep in mind riding this bike isn't going to satisfy any boy racer ideas you may or may not have. It won't get your pulse racing, except when you swerve to avoid the soccer mom on her cell phone in her Hummer. It will however get you from point a to point b on two wheels with good mileage and reliability not often seen anymore.