Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 11-13-2006, 09:54 AM   #51
bigredgkg
Registered Member

Default Re: Suggest A Bike For My Commute.

unfortunatly, after a couple grand, you'd still have a 1979 CX500. tragic...
bigredgkg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #52
SmokeU
Registered Member

Isn't that the same as a Marauder? And weren't they kind of weak?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:07 AM   #53
manalagi001
Registered Member

I think a tall guy like you would like a used BMW, a used late-model Triumph (great value), or a VFR (probably hard to find a good used value). I'm really surprised no one has mentioned the VFR as a good commuter bike, especially for the distances you will cover.

I commute a similar distance and it's borderline between bike classes, so I can understand your confusion over what to buy. It's just far enough that you'll enjoy the comforts of a bike like the VFR or Sprint (or most BMWs) but it's short enough that you could do it on an unfaired Bonneville, Speed Triple, or yes, even on a faired, but tiny, Ninja 250.

If you don't know what bike you want, then just continue to prowl and save money. Most motorcyclists don't have any trouble picking out a way to blow money. Passion strikes and then boom, you have a new (to you) bike. If you're not in the mood, then you're not in the mood. Enjoy that time between bikes where you shop and dream. Take your time.

You're fortunate in that you can afford to let passion be your guide, because your commute is moderate, virtually all bikes today are of high quality, and financing is easy, if you decide to go new but can't quite afford to pay cash. So let your passions simmer.

Stay open to any brand you can get dealer support for in your area. Since you're new to motorcycling you might be focused on Hondas or Suzukis, but you should consider Ducati, KTM, Triumph, and even BMW (used, not new-- new they are outrageously priced).

So don't worry about getting the right bike, just get the bike you want. And don't worry about it being the perfect bike to take you into the next decade and beyond. Many motorcyclists frequently sell and buy bikes (often used) just to enjoy the process and try out something new. It's a bike, not a marriage; if bought used you can often sell it for what you paid for it if it really doesn't float your boat.

Finally, maybe take some test rides. In my town test rides are available on Ducatis, MV Agustas, KTMs, Triumphs, Aprilias, and BMWs at various European dealers. Do it, it's fun! You probably won't get to test ride Japanese bikes but that doesn't mean you shouldn't sample the others. Triumph especially has an excellent demo program so there's no excuse not to get out there and do some sampling. Even if you don't buy a Triumph, you'll learn a lot about your personal preferences for different bike sizes, configurations, and riding positions that will translate into helping you select a bike, no matter what brand you end up choosing.
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:14 AM   #54
manalagi001
Registered Member

That's an excellent point. However I will counter that riding to work makes me love coming to work. And going home from work. Even if I don't always like the in-between part!

Plus, I don't really have time to ride on the weekends. So, i just take different routes to work. I'm fortunate that I have different routes I can take, I guess.

SO it depends on your commute, I think. But point well taken.
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:16 AM   #55
Glazier
Registered Member

Depends on what you consider weak.

Do you consider 63-65 horses, 55 ft-lbs of torque, and a quarter mile right around 13 flat, at about 100 mph weak?

I would figure it pretty middle of the road, it's a long and narrow bike, feels lighter than it is. And compared to a all show Gs 500 or the decnt Ninja 500 it ain't weak.

No, it isn't as powerful as the SV 650, but look at the design of the bike, it was never meant to be. But the engine is lowly stressed, low maintence and will potentialy last forever.

I just put this up as a nother potential alternative. And being the guy doesn't have a lot of experience under his belt, do you really think he should go out and get something too powerful?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:29 AM   #56
SmokeU
Registered Member

I was thinking it had maybe 45 rwhp like the normal Volusia/Intruder. Seems they hopped it up a bit, which is a good thing.

I could easily ride a bike that powerful. I do agree with this suggestion, even if it had 45 hp since his CX 500 is going to be about that(maybe) anyway.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:42 AM   #57
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: Suggest a bike for my commute

Nighthawk boring? We are talking about a guy who is considering a B-last as a viable alternative. If you are concerned about the maintenance cost this is the way.

Monster 900? Chicks are not an issue here, look what he rides now.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #58
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

oh... in that case... nneeevvveerr mmiiiiiiinnddd. Thunderbolt sounds pretty cool too.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:48 AM   #59
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

yeah, but if he really likes the bike...
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:08 AM   #60
anrajala
Founding Member

They are called "generic and soulless" because they don´t have any noticeable faults. For some people the bike has to have some disturbing feature in order to have "soul". I don´t get it. Its like preferring a stereo with 5% distortion, because then it has "soul".

Someone should point out that these are all dead objects and don´t have soul. It´s all pure imagination.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote