Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 11-13-2006, 07:57 AM   #31
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default I'm 6'2" as well...

Having started on a Sporty and moved up through Road King to R1150GS to a DR650, I have to say that a taller bike will be way more comfortable over the long term, given the greater legroom. I just tend to arrive a little more refreshed, and on weekends in the mountains I can stay in the saddle longer. Might as well use your height to look over traffic and still touch the ground.

The Wee Strom has the same kickin' little engine as the SV650. You'll be able to see over traffic, which you'll still be able to keep up with. I've seen two couples touring the eastern seaboard, one couple on an SV650 and the other (taller) couple on a Wee Strom, with large alluminum bags, and really tall winshields. It's lightweight, really tossable given the wider bars, and has a really decent aftermarket. Staintunes make them sound quite Ducati-ish. A CeeBailey's windshield puts you in the quiet happy place. Sargent's makes saddles. You can get a throttlelocker (bar-end cruise control) for it. Real handlebars mean you can alter the ergos there w/o too much trouble. And so on.

The Buell CityX oddly fit me like a glove. Some of the best ergos I've EVER had on a bike (6'2" ~235lbs. 35in' inseam). Really weird/cool. But it won't take much in the way of luggage, and a passenger is right out. Parts are cheap but after two H-Ds, I've come to believe that albor is expensive. The aftermarket is pretty weak-sauce as well.

Me? Im looking at either a Multistrada or an R12GS sometime in April. I know that's not your price point; I'm just to illustrate that the "tall bikes" give up nothing to sportbikes in their same displacement/price range in terms of handling or real-world performance, and are far more comfortable, especially in the long-term.

I love my DR650, but in hindsight, I'd give up 5-6mpg for twice the power. Still, it's bomb-proof and dirt cheap. Good Luck!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2006, 08:00 AM   #32
rebis69
Registered Member

Default Re: Suggest A Bike For My Commute.

no, your all crazy, use a Boss Hoss haha!

Just kidding,
rebis69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:01 AM   #33
James_Brown
Registered Member

Default Re: Suggest a bike for my commute

The EX/Ninja 500 is substantially better than a GS 500. Go for one of those. I've never ridden a Ninja 250, but the 500 is still a very light, easy to handle bike with enough acceleration to be fun when you need it.
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:14 AM   #34
James_Brown
Registered Member

You can get a ~4-5 year old Monster 750 for around $4k. 600/620s are only a little bit less, 900s a little bit more. They all are great bikes. The main knock on them for commuting is the limited steering lock. U-turns take a lot of space. The other issue is that if it gets knocked over in a parking lot or you drop it, the tank will get dented and that is fairly expensive to fix and very expensive to replace.

A lot of people will say a Duc is too expensive to commute on due to maintenance costs, but here are the facts: It needs to be serviced at 6K and 12K intervals. The 6K costs $300-500 depending on the dealer and the 12K costs $4-600. $500 every 6 miles is a conservative estimate. I would suggest changing your oil every 2k miles and using synthetic. Brakes, tires, chains etc. wear out the same as any other bike of similar weight and power.

So, the make up your mind if $500 every 6k miles is too much money for you. That's your call. Don't be scared away by speculation from people who have never owned a Duc.

The Monster is a great bike
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:40 AM   #35
Glazier
Registered Member

If you want to be a cheap ass, and let's be honest, who doesn't. And you happen to find one in decent shape. You might want to take a look at a Suzuki VX 800. It's a rare bike that you don't see around often. It's got shaft drive for low maintenence, and a decent, torquey V-twin so you don't need to be constantly shifting. The styling is either love it or hate it though. It's a long bike, looks kinda crusierish, but well show it's tail light to any other cruiser in the twisties, and has enough steam to hit 120-125 mph, not that I would recommend such speeds. It's also one of the very few Japanese bikes that has an undeniable character and soul. Anyhow, just a different alternative.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:47 AM   #36
Zooba
Registered Member

Sorry to be disagreeable, but commuting regularly on any bike is a good way to stop loving motorcycles ( and with all the idiots in SUV on cell phones, a great way to end up with a limp, if you're lucky) Riding is the best sport I know, so it would be the cheapest car I could find -- and the bike that

speaks to the visceral part of your brain. You "haveta" commute ...but you "wanna" ride. Keep the two separate

and ride for the love of it. -- Or forget everything I just said and find a good used BMW GS. Mine will be parked between the cars in the snow were I can see it from my office window...
Zooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:52 AM   #37
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

I wouldn't buy a bike I couldn't maintain myself or at least learn how to. I have no reason to believe that I couldn't learn the Duc "valve thing". Be worth $300 to have someone show me even, quick. Ducati's are great bikes but I won't let a shop own me.

Some people like to have others maintain their bikes, I can understand that. Some people are probably making a good call there

I prefer to do my own maintenance. "Joe" might even be better than I but he won't care more than me.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:52 AM   #38
johnnyb
Founding Member

Do it get cold? R1100R BMW w/ heated grips, ah yesss. there is a test here at MO someplace.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:53 AM   #39
Tigercub
Founding Member

The Kawasaki 250 will be too small even if the price and mileage seem hard to pass up. Go for the Kawasaki 500 instead. Used ones can be found for less than $5k.

Suzuki GS500 should work.

Also, try looking for a Yamaha Seca. They're a 600 and come up in adds occasionally for cheap.

The Harley 883 2004 or later would be good. Rubber mounted engine, but used will still be more than $6k. You might find an older Sporty for about $5k. They get good gas mileage.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:05 AM   #40
SmokeU
Registered Member

M109R

nuff said.