Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 11-13-2006, 06:35 AM   #21
iamz
Founding Member

Default Re: Suggest A Bike For My Commute.

Moto Guzzi Breva 750. 50 mpg. Easy to maintain. You can pick up a used one easily for under $5k. And ohhh, so fun to ride.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2006, 06:50 AM   #22
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Suggest a bike for my commute

Not that hard. I beat my 72 with a hammer a few times!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:50 AM   #23
tomk2
Founding Member

Nighthawk 750 = sooo boooooring. Chicks find out you ride a Chickenhawk, they'll immediately start looking for a sock or something extra to stuff in the Trojan

plus for $5K he should be able to get a used bike with some potential

a Monster 900 or an SV with money left over for with some suspension upgrades
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:58 AM   #24
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

A lot of good suggestions already. I was thinking this is a "Holy Trinity" kind of answer to this question at the point of "Suggest a bike for my commute". Seriously I would look at a Connie or a Bandit 12 (the ZRX, same basic idea, might be a bit more pricey than the B12). If utility is a big part of what you're looking for, bang for the buck, low maintenance, the Connie would be tough to beat IMHO.

You probably wouldn't go too wrong going with whatever catches you eye in your price range, especially if you feel you can do some of the basic maintenance. You can get a lot of bike for 5K or less.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:05 AM   #25
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

I don't know about this 'generic and soulless' bs about SV650's. For some reason people start to knock a bike because everyone likes it. Guess what, there's a reason everyone likes it. They've got good torque, they're very fast within street riding speeds, they handle great, they even sound good if you get an aftermarket pipe. I'm 6'3" and I ride an sv650s to work and back every day, rain or shine, and I always take the long way home. Literally always. It's banged up and dirty now that it's got 20k miles on it, and I love it.

I've had a ninja250, and ridden a nighthawk 750 a bunch, and neither compares in fun value, not even close.

I bought it for 3200 bucks two years ago.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:12 AM   #26
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Is it the bike that's banged up and dirty or you?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:12 AM   #27
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I'd go with an '07 R1 or GSXR 1000, they're the safest motorcycles on the road according to our Great Motorcycle Non-Profit. Though he's never actually ridden one, he assures us that with the best braking and handling plus the ever important pee/pee ratio they must be the most logical choice.

Myself, I'd get a Bonnie...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:30 AM   #28
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

You can't go wrong with any 10 year old in-line 4 cylinder Japanese bike (that's been maintained).

Insurance rates are low, they run forever, and no one wants to steal them.

And you can pick one up for real cheap too, around $1,000.00 all day long.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:31 AM   #29
KLRer
Founding Member

If its mainly for commuting from 0 to maybe 60 mph, I'd consider something light and fun to ride even at slow speeds, or at least more fun than a heavyweight. Maybe even a Yamaha XT 225 -- little dual purpose that weighs only 238 lbs. Or the Kawasaki 250 dual sport about 10 lbs heavier.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:46 AM   #30
gjbedna
Registered Member

There are a lot of good suggestions....here's my 2c. I use a Sportster for my communter. I have owned and ridden a number of other bikes. It doesn't do anything well but I really enjoy it--it gets about 40mpg the way I ride. If you're 6'2", the 250 Ninja will be cramped although it is a hoot to ride and 65+ mpg. The others are good suggestions, especially a 750 Nighthawk or SV 650. Find the bike & price that's right for you.
gjbedna is offline   Reply With Quote