Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 11-13-2006, 05:02 AM   #11
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Default Re: Suggest a bike for my commute

I've got to go with a Hayabusa with Yoshimura pipes and a power commander, you'll look and sound great sitting in stop and go rush hour traffic and you'll never have an excuse for being late again.

If that doesn't work for you, then I recommend a twin like an SV650 (generic and souless), Buell CityX (you'll look like a circus bear on a bicycle tho') or finally my personal fav, a Monster S2R Dark now with improved 12000 mile service interval.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2006, 05:18 AM   #12
priday
Founding Member

Default look at the Buell.....

.....but NOT the blast.

The XB Lightning, either the 9 or the 12. You can pick up a couple year old one in you price range, or an old stock NEW unit for a little bit more.

Go to a H-D dealership and sit on one. Ride one if they'll let ya, and see what you think. Most people fall in love with the ergos. I have been commuting on one for almost a year (the 1200) and beating the crap out of it. I'm getting MPG in the low 40's, and other than tires, gas, and oil, there is very little you need to do to these things.

And OMFingG the little beastie is fun to ride....just be prepared or attention, controversy, and to take a little crap from people about the "bear on a bicycle" thing. (I'm about 5-11 and around 250).

If it is comfortable for you to ride, consider it. Also go back thru the archives and read every shootout in which the Lightning represented. It won every. Single. Time.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Rob

Horsepower is an illusory mathmatical equation; Torque is Real, and is the source of all good things in the world.
priday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:28 AM   #13
giuliom
Founding Member

I think the Honda 750 NIghthawk (1991-) is hard to beat. I picked one up a few years ago with 12k miles in pristine conditions and with lots of extras for about $2300. I put on about 10-12k miles every year for four years and the maintenance was almost nothing (self-adjusting valves!). I keep good records and I could tell you exactly how much I spent, but nothing ever broke on that one, except for a wire in a switch, which I re-soldered, and I changed the valve cover gasket once. The rest, normal maintenance. It's as reliable as anything and it has enough power,but not enough to scare you.
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:32 AM   #14
sliphorn
Registered Member

Consider the following three maxi-scooters: Yamaha Majesty, Burgman 400, and the Kymco 500. All are excellent for commuting.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:41 AM   #15
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Ditto, excellent suggestion.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:42 AM   #16
mnmmelanson
Founding Member

I would look on ebay or cycletrader.com for any leftover bikes. Recently they had brand new zero miles 2003 Kawasaki z1000's for around 4-5K. Great around town bikes with a good engine for what you are looking to do.
mnmmelanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:43 AM   #17
Rubble
Founding Member

I don't know anything about the Kymco, but I definitely put a strong second vote in for the Majesty and Burgman.
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:53 AM   #18
Gritboy
Founding Member

Don't sweat it. Your list is good, though I'd away from the 250's if you plan to hit the freeways at all. They're great around the city, but not much grunt for higher speeds. Personally, I'd go for an SV650 or DL650 over a GS500 for the simple fact they're modern, better built Suzuki's (the GS' I've seen rot and rust away pretty quickly). I ride a DL and several friends SVs and we love 'em -- though I keep dreaming of a DL750 or DL800.

If you can afford a Duc Monster go for it and enjoy the sound and torque. I've heard both praises and dissatisfaction with BMW's F650s, so check 'em out more before buying. Nuff said. Almost any modern 500-650 is decent these days, so pick what fits ya.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:04 AM   #19
bluemoco
Founding Member

I think your list looks pretty reasonable, Matt.

My knee-jerk reaction to your post is to suggest a DL650 V-Strom -- it is perfectly suited to your usage intent. However, they will be difficult to find for less than your $5000 price target.

I own a Monster, and they're great bikes for urban riding. They will be a little bit more expensive to maintain (unless you do the maintenance yourself), but they are pretty simple machines, look great, and are a lot of fun to ride.

Someone suggested a dual-sport like the KLR650 -- also a very good choice, especially since you're not spending a lot of time on the freeway. The Suzuki DR-Z400 would be a good alternative to the KLR, and may be less expensive on the used bike market.
bluemoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:07 AM   #20
lwatcdr
Founding Member

Yep it is hard to beat. Cheap and will probably out live the sun.

lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote