Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   Aftermarket Twin Shocks Question (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/4064-aftermarket-twin-shocks-question.html)

jasonlion54 11-12-2006 08:28 AM

Re: Aftermarket Twin Shocks Question

$200 sounds like a great price for a pair of shocks. There are also alot of things that you can do on your own to improve your suspension. Progressive springs, emulators, etc. Make sure the seals and oil are still good. I ride a 1982 Yamaha XJ Seca, and with those forks, some people have inserted pieces of PVC pipe to increase the preload. I think it all depends on what you don't like about your current suspension.

TwistedKestrel 11-12-2006 08:32 AM

I used to have a Radian too, and I can tell you there aren't many options. Ikon Suspensions also makes a set of shocks that I think have adjustable rebound ... I think almost anything will be an upgrade. Make sure you change the fork oil, though. I can practically guarantee that it's never been changed, and you will easily notice the difference.

I really wished Race-Tech had fork emulators for it, but they wouldn't sell me any. Keep the bike going! I wish I still had mine, it's a great bike.

xlr8r 11-12-2006 08:47 AM

Hagon will build you whatever you want - just ask them. As a starting point, try spring rates that are half your body weight - so if you weigh 200 pounds, try 100 pound per inch springs, which will make the bike 'sit' one inch when you're on it( 2 springs @ 100 pounds = 200 punds, right?). Ikon are Australian Koni's, since the original firm stopped trading; they have adjustable damping as well as adjustable spring rates. Both are good.

sarnali2 11-12-2006 09:02 AM

I have Hagon progressive wound springs in the front and Hagon Nitro shocks on the rear of my Triumph. They work pretty well, make quite a bit of difference overall.

zxr250cc 11-12-2006 12:05 PM

Aftermarket Twin Shocks Question

I had a ZZR 400 cc Kawasaki in Japan that had the stock rear shock wear out. I swapped to a Hagon shock I ordered on the Internet and it made the back end feel better by far. It was cheaper than the Kwak parts also... They are a good option, I would say.

Dangerousdave_2 11-12-2006 09:42 PM

I did that very same thing to my Seca. I don't know if they make emulators for bikes that old, but I know that a set of Progressive shocks improved things considerably. If they make cartridge emulators for your bike, I would think you should get them. The forks are kinda skinny to start with, and it'g got a nineteen inch wheel, which precludes most of the really good tires out there today. If it is just a love of this particular motorcycle that motivates you, then do it, by all means. If you are looking for a more capable machine, you might be better off getting something newer.

Neal 11-13-2006 02:06 AM

Works Performance and Progresive Suspension are 2 other companies worth checking out. They both make a fine product and have shocks for twin shock Yamaha applications.

PowerfulPierre 11-13-2006 02:51 AM

Never used Hagon but I have put Progressive Suspension on a couple of bikes and the improvement over stock, especially old worn stock, is impressive. Get the base model 412's and you will be pleased. The fork springs are a good improvement too, but first change the old oil to the proper level and you will probably notice an immediate difference.

Buzglyd 11-13-2006 03:33 AM

It seems like 75% of the chicks in SoCal have aftermarket twins.

Gritboy 11-13-2006 04:44 AM

It's a four... with dual shockies! ;-P

Shocking!