Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 11-06-2006, 09:37 AM   #21
manalagi001
Registered Member

Default Re: Two Stroke Top End Questions.

This is the most astute comment I have read so far. I agree 100%. So, I would advise you to just ride it for awhile. You'll get bored, or hurt, or quit riding, or realize you have the wrong bike, before you ever need a top end done. Guaranteed. So get out there and ride bro!
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2006, 09:37 AM   #22
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

There's a Honda shop up in the desert, by Cal City that has exploded 4 striker heads mounted on the wall in the parts department.

Man, thaose things really blow up when they let loose. Giant chunks of head goes flying through the air. Wonder if anyone's been hurt by schrapnel?

I'll never sell my CR500.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:38 AM   #23
Tadgh
Registered Member

the same holds true on the thumper i think ...if you keep the air filter spotless ..you can really save the engine work...

the crf 450s were notorious for titanium valves which kept on stretching but then they replaced them with steel in the crfx(enduro) but with some kind of coating which tended to wear if there was dirt coming in from the carb...

this seeemed to erode the valve head and then it wouldnt seat properly and you lost compression making them a ***** to start until they wouldnt start ...

how do i know this ?

anyhow the yzf 450 is pretty bullet proof as far as my experience goes...

the 250 thumpers seem to have more problems with big end bering giving out simply due to the ultra high revs of the 250 motor...but if you keep the oil and filter fresh you really do help your cause a lot

..but i notice in europe the ring dinger is making a come back ..especially as ktm and gas gas are producing some top class enduro bikes right now ..whether they are sold in the us or not i dont know because you seem to have stricter emissions regulations for semi closed course/road legal bikes
Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:40 AM   #24
manalagi001
Registered Member

To answer the question directly: you'll get years of use if you keep your air filter clean always. So there's really no way to predict the exact moment your bike will go. It's best to pull the top end every year and at least change your ring, plus (necessarily) your fluids and gaskets. Then go another year.
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:56 PM   #25
TomSmith
Founding Member

My Hummer originally had solid 1950-model foot pegs. I broke one off crossing a lava field out past Barstow (I think that's where it was). I replaced them with 1951 folding models after getting home since riding with my right foot on the cases was a little awkward for the 20 or 30 miles or so to the finish. The lava field was hard on everyone. Since I was slower than the big bikes, I had to dodge around pipes and various other bike parts that got knocked off.
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:58 PM   #26
TomSmith
Founding Member

My Hummer originally had solid 1950-model foot pegs. I broke one off crossing a lava field out past Barstow (I think that's where it was). I replaced them with 1951 folding models after getting home since riding with my right foot on the cases was a little awkward for the 20 or 30 miles or so to the finish. The lava field was hard on everyone. Since I was slower than the big bikes, I had to dodge around pipes and various other bike parts that got knocked off.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #27
TomSmith
Founding Member

My Hummer originally had solid 1950-model foot pegs. I broke one off crossing a lava field out past Barstow (I think that's where it was) on a Hare & Hound. I replaced them with 1951 folding models after getting home since riding with my right foot on the cases was a little awkward for the 20 or 30 miles or so to the finish. The lava field was hard on everyone. Since I was slower than the big bikes, I had to dodge around pipes and various other bike parts that got knocked off.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:34 AM   #28
BillyO
Registered Member

Don`t get too radical on the cam design.
BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:02 AM   #29
SmokeU
Registered Member

2 smokes don't have cams.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #30
Tadgh
Registered Member

they do ..they are just under the fuel injection pumps and to the left of the desmodrive rockers
Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote