Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 11-01-2006, 07:47 AM   #1
cls
Registered Member

Default Re: Time for a Change of Bike?

Absolute personal issue you have to answer yourself. I just did the same thing. Sold my '05 GSXR1000 and '06 ZX14 (And a whole slew of other ones prior to that.), and got a M109R. So far, so good. Still a high-tech., smooth, powerful bike, but nothing like the sporties, especially in the twisties. It'll make you slow down and relax.

Now, to see how long it'll last. That's the question. Good luck.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
ironore
Founding Member

Fazer 1000 or FZ1 yamaha....

I believe it is called the fazer 1000 in europe.

nimble and good handling...enough power for any sane person but easier to ride with restraint than your clip on equipped sport bike.

perfect for the riding you describe.

ironore
ironore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Buell XB12S

I commute everyday on a Buell XB12S.

Fast enough to pass the cars, slow enough not to get into trouble and great gas mileage and insurance to boot.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:27 AM   #4
KLRer
Founding Member

Man, you all sure drive fast over there. 130-140 mph on the way to work? You have got to be kidding me. Telecommuting is a lot faster (186,000 mps) and safer.

All that said, for fantasy purposes, with those conditions you described youre probably down to the KTM 990 Adventure or........or.......the BMW HP2. I'd guess 130 mph might be achievable, barely, on those and they'll also meet your enduro/off-road spec.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:37 AM   #5
Woody650
Founding Member

130-140 mph and you are worried about restraint with a liter bike? sounds like you don't have restraint on the 750.

maybe a 250 would be wise.

if you love 750s why get anything different? each of those crashes could have occurred on a scooter, a cruiser or a sportbike.
Woody650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:46 AM   #6
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: One word (two words?)

Jawa 90.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:51 AM   #7
ksquid
Banned

[*]I guess I would echo what Woody650 said with some additions. I know if I could have 3 bikes it would be a VFR with ABS for commuting in rainy Seattle, a GSXR750 for weekend fun, and the new Kawaski Concours 14 with ABS for cross country touring. i.e. to visit family in California, CO, and back on the east coast (VA, GA).

[*]You can get into trouble with the law on anybike and crash on any bike. I would avoid cruisers cause to me they are sitting ducks i.e not safe. On a motorcycle the key is to have agility and power to avoid an accident. Contary to what some of the GPTB* believe, sportbikes stop, start, accelerate, and turn faster than any cruiser..

[*]* Gray Pony Tail Brotherhood - kpaul copyright pending
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:56 AM   #8
orcyclist
Founding Member

Man you need to slow down on public roads. The speed may have been a factor in the non rearender crashes. If you were ging slower you may have more time to avoid the diesel and to avoid the crash on the tracks. WHen it is raining it is a known fact that sport bike tires are down on traction as are all tires. I sugest you get thee to a school and learn to ride better (not faster) AND get thee to a track day for your speed jollies. I did both and my ridng is more sane in the street (mostly) and I have great fun on the track. I have multiple bikes. You can get an older and a newer as a track bike and have lots of fun. Please don't be dangerous out there. I think that is called being a squid.

I have a 94 BMW R1100RS for my commuter. an 89 FZR 400 for track and an 06 R6 for fun street weekend riding. At the 130-140 speeds you are just taking way too many chances on the street. NO reaction time.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:00 AM   #9
orcyclist
Founding Member

I think that combo is a great set of bikes. I am looking into replacing my commuter 94 BMW RS ABS 40 per day year round) with a Concours zx-14. I have two sport bikes as well. I live in equally rainy Portland and think ABS is mandatory in this climate. My other two are an 06 R6 bumblebe and an 89 FZR 400
Old 11-01-2006, 09:08 AM   #10
ksquid
Banned

Nice collection... Someday I want to be like you. Oh well another kid to get through college.. it will have to wait.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote