Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-31-2006, 07:25 AM   #1
rbitra
Registered Member

Default Re: KLR650, Should I Get One?

first
rbitra is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2006, 07:32 AM   #2
SRMark
Founding Member

The KLR ain't fast but you really should wait for the '08 model if you want one. If you want a fast dual sport, start with the letter K but then add TM instead of LR.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:33 AM   #3
12er
Founding Member

The KLR650 is one wimpy ride above posted limits. That being said its a commuter liability if traffic runs 80+, I sold mine for that reason. I loved the bike and still miss it but dont miss the lack of power. If your commuting intown there isnt much finer ride, good visibility from the high seat, plenty of pothole absorbtion and that 6+ gallon tank.

If your going to get a KLR and plan to do freeway order an oversized front brake rotor kit for about $500 and then you would need to change out the fork springs to compensate from the added brake force. So your looking at around $800 just to make it stop safely.

The standard engine mods are around another $1200 so figure around $2k going in to make it relitively street worthy. By then your up over the price of a new WeeStrom which would be an infinitely better commuter.

If your riding back roads and fire trails mainly the KLR is fabulous (Buy the $99 tail bag from kawasaki), mostly freeways and its not such a good choice. Who knows if and when the NEW Improved KLR will ever see our shores and how much of an improvement will their be?
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:34 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Here's a page with some numbers. It gives 4.74 as the 0-60.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:52 AM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Probably something along the lines of a 650 V Strom Suzuki would work for you. It has enough motor for anything under 100 and good upright seating position, wide bars and handling for in town around traffic.

That's what I'd get, there's a review of it in the MO archives. Came out pretty well as I recall

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:58 AM   #6
Fenton
Founding Member

As the owner of a 2006 KLR650 with the 320mm brake kit and progressive suspension front and rear, I would recommend the Suzuki DL650.

It's a great bike to play around on but it wouldn't be my first choice for a 1 bike garage.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:43 AM   #7
Ashley_Johnson
Registered Member

Raj,

Don't listen to any of these reply's.....listen to me because I know everything!

The absolute best bang for the buck in motorcycling is the KLR 650. It is cheaper than most top of the line Mt. Bikes and yes, it will be faster than your Z28 to 60MPH.

I own a '05 which I ride in town and which I use to terrorize sport bike squids (and real riders) on the twisty's roads of my area. Mine is slightly modified with a pipe and I still get 48mpg riding flat out. I can cruise all day at 80mph which is over the legal speed limit. I went on a cross country trip on it loaded, flat out, never got a ticket, never got tired and was able to cross the continental divide on dirt roads on it. It has 17k miles on it . All it needs is a new chain!

I also have a highly modified Triumph Daytona 955I which I use as a track bike only. Speed is fun, but anything that is more than the KLR on the streets is either gonna cost you 3k more or get you into trouble.

Hope this helps!
Ashley_Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:58 AM   #8
KLRer
Founding Member

zero to 60 the KLR 650 is fairly quick by most car standards. You won't blow away a Z28 but probably will win. It loses oomph rapidly beyond 85 indicated as others have noted, but you seem more concerned with quickness off the line. If you want something light, reasonably quick off the line and definitely quick handling, the KLR650s a good choice. Oh, and indestructible too. I can attest to that.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:04 AM   #9
Dueducs
Founding Member

As always - who gives a leapin lizard !
Old 10-31-2006, 09:09 AM   #10
fugusaurus
Founding Member

yes. you should get one.

yes, they're less powerful than a hayabusa.

yes, they can't out-brake an R-1.

yes, they can't do a power-wheelie at 140.

but who cares.

i've ridden dual-sport bikes thousands of miles on street, dirt, loaded touring, commuting, back-road howling, and they're the schiznit.

i've had big powerful mother-lovin' beasts, and they're great too, but for all around fun and motorin' love, give me a dual sport. and the KLR is one of the gold standards.

sure, you may want to put in stiffer springs, a new pipe, braided lines, yadda yadda, but just get the thing and ride first...you'll love it.

and anyway, your fat american car isn't good for anything but straight lines anyway. ditch the cage and go riding.
fugusaurus is offline   Reply With Quote