Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   KLR650, Should I Get One? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/4037-klr650-should-i-get-one.html)

Holy_Kaw 10-31-2006 11:05 AM

Re: KLR650, Should I Get One?

Almost by definition, a dual purpose bike is a compromise. Spend a bunch and there's some nice ones leaning toward street or dirt. If it's really good in the dirt it's going to come up short on the street and vice versa.

The KLR seems a reasonable, relatively inexpensive, middle choice. If I was thinking of buying new I'd probably wait for the '08, they seem to addressed most of the "issues" owners have had. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a good used one at a good price either.

"a highly modified Triumph Daytona 955I" Daaamn Giiirl! Sweet!

Holy_Kaw 10-31-2006 11:17 AM

Re: Is it an IROC Z?

Badda Bing!

mscuddy 10-31-2006 11:27 AM

I'll be here all week...thanks

Fenton 10-31-2006 11:59 AM

What does the SVO Mustang stand for then?

pkbrown 10-31-2006 12:41 PM

If you like the layout, the WeeStrom would be good. Or, maybe the little 620 Ducati Multistrada would be a possibility. If it was for the street, the Dcuati, while not the most practical, would be the best handling ride.

acecycleins 10-31-2006 01:04 PM

Price- about 3 grand- difference. Think that will woo the guy to a MTS? Not worth it. I'd have more fun on the KL and use the money left over to buy fleet of Vegas

The_AirHawk 10-31-2006 01:08 PM

You mean SVT? SVO's went the way of the Dino before the IROC.

basel1120 10-31-2006 01:55 PM

Another vote for the KTM...In another classs altogether, but the KTM950 is perhaps the most unique and extrordinary bikes I've ever ridden.

msilverstein 10-31-2006 03:25 PM

I've been using my KLR650 to commute during the week and have fun on the weekends for the last two years.

The KLR650 is excellent around town, on back roads and dirt roads. Once I got bored with riding the local power line trails (tight, single-track got to be very not-fun) I put street tires on it and regularly shame sportbike riders on tight, twisty roads where agility trumps horsepower.

The one place the KLR650 falls short is on the highway. Any time the speed gets over 75mph (GPS indicated) I start wishing I had a VStrom or something with a bit more power and better aerodynamics.

Everywhere else the KLR650 is great, and the price is right.

My advice: By a low mileage used one for around $4k, decide if you like it (which you probably will), and if not, sell it for about what you paid and get something else. That was my plan two years and 13k miles ago and I'm still on mine.</p>

Weezel 10-31-2006 04:05 PM

The BMW F650 GS has had a price drop to $7500 and might even be phased out with the new F800 series coming. You can probably get one for even less. Check out Jossef's review on this site. Good all around bike - much better on the streets, but not even close to a KLR off road. Depends on your riding habits. Take one for a spin - that's the good thing about BMW - they let you test ride their bikes.