Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   KLR650, Should I Get One? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/4037-klr650-should-i-get-one.html)

Fenton 10-31-2006 09:10 AM

Re: KLR650, Should I Get One?

Hey, my other bike is a 2004 955i. Seems like a good pair to have.

acecycleins 10-31-2006 09:29 AM

Dog reliable

Easy to work on

Great gas mileage

Cheap Insurance

Easy to find parts

If you want more get a Husky 610sm. Otherwise it's a fine choice if you want tried and true riding. Good Chioce. Worng reasoning.

CO192964 10-31-2006 09:49 AM

1st post.

I have put about 7500 miles on my 2001 KLR (80% dirt roads, 20% street riding). It is reliable all right. The only problems I got so far: kick stand cable got jammed with sand so the bike could not start (I tossed the cable), and the fender liner had to be trimmed to the tag light as it evaporated bit by bit over time - the tag had to be relocated as a result. It lost a few nuts and bolts also.

Maintenance: 2 front sprockets, 1 rear tire, 2 batteries, 1 set of rear brake pads, 1 foot rest, and oil changes.

I replaced the doohickey but the OE one was fine. At 4,500 miles 3 out of 4 valves were slightly out of spec (clearance was too tight). That is it.

Top speed: 95-98 miles /hr (I am 6'2). Top speed sitting: 85-90 mi/hr.

It runs a bit lean. I switched to premium gas - works better.

My only complaint: the engine is a little "buzzy".

Conclusion: it is reliable, requires little maintenance, and does not cost much to purchase and insure.

I also have a 04 Buell Firebolt and 00 XT 350, but the bike I ride the most is the KLR.

fz6todd 10-31-2006 10:00 AM

Got an 06, taller screen , geared it higher runs 5000 rpm at 75, redline 7500 , could use more power, cheap to insure, very comfortable to travel on, it is a nice platform to start with if you like fixing it up to your style of riding, get rid of the seat, fells like your on the seat base after about an hour

maladg 10-31-2006 10:08 AM

I've ridden exactly one KLR and for about one hour. But it was only about a month ago. So as always, take what I say with several large grains of salt. Neighbor up at my "Fortress of Solitude" has one and graciously offered to let me take a spin.

If I were going to commute, the FIRST thing I'd change would not be the seat but those squirrel droppings that pass for tires.

Ditto pretty much all the above positive comments. And ditto waiting on the upgraded version due later next year IF your focus is really to be commuting. I found the seat height a bit much. If you weigh more that 180 or so, you might find yourself wanting to fiddle with the springs, etc., too.

Aftermarket for these contraptions is miles deep.

If you really want it for street duty/commuting and want to keep your outlay down - get a lightly used Wee Strom and have some fun. And you can attach larger luggage and top box without having to be concerned with upgrading rear sub-frame fastners. (See MCN stuff below for more info)

Either way YOU WIN!!!

Oops, almost forgot. MCN ran a 6 part KLR farkle series a yr or three ago. Dr. Greg Frazier now does some of this 'round the world riding on KLR's now that type 247 Airheads have ceased production. Lots of neat, sano and other useful bits in those articles. Contact MCN for back articles OR order up all KLR articles from Ian Smith.

longride 10-31-2006 10:54 AM

"Don't listen to any of these reply's.....listen to me because I know everything!"

Wrong screen name for that comment.

Holy_Kaw 10-31-2006 11:20 AM

Obviously you. I'm still trying to figure out if he's going for the First Post Club Championship! or... just likes jerkin' your chain.

And you? Self appointed First Post Police?

As a multi-time First Poster I've retired from actively seeking that Exulted Status unless of course it falls into my lap, leave it for the youngun's and all.

I'm out of it, you guys knock each other out.

Dangerousdave_2 10-31-2006 11:24 AM

Reset your Irony Detector.

Buzglyd 10-31-2006 11:35 AM

Is it an IROC Z?

You know what IROC stands for?

Italian Retards Out Cruising.

That's a New York joke.

Don't forget to take care of your ****tail waitresses and bartenders!

ksquid 10-31-2006 11:44 AM

Aren't you funny.. But you are correct. There can only be one GMP! Sorry Ashley..