Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #1
robbiedo
Founding Member

Default Re: Heated Vest Choices

I have a Widder vest. I fits fine and works well, but only came with a on-off switch, not variable temp controller. I believe Widderrsells a variable temp cable, so I definitely recommend that.

Heated grips are a definite plus and something to protect the neck.
robbiedo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2006, 11:07 PM   #2
paul_from_Minnesota
Registered Member

If you have the dough you cant beat Aerostich stuff. go to www.aerostich.com and look for the Kanetsu (sp?) airvantage vest. Also, I got a vest for my wife from http://www.1stheat.com

and she really likes it. Very warm and it has adjustable velcro straps on the side to make it fit up close to you. This is very important to transfer the heat.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:11 AM   #3
bikervince
Founding Member

I also have the Widder vest. I love it.

I tried heated grips but they only warm the palm of your hands, not the backs where the wind blows. Also, I like to cover the brake and clutch levers with two fingers, and then they get cold. I found myself holding on to the grips with my entire hand, just to keep them warm.

If you're getting the vest, I suggest adding the heated gloves, they plug right in. They are a little bulky, but really keep your hands warm. One of the best motorcycle accessories I ever bought.

BikerVince

bikervince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:32 AM   #4
veronaisland
Registered Member

I've had my Widder vest and gloves for 5 years. I rode to work in Maine this morning with a temp of 37*. From my experience, the vest will keep me reasonably warm (under my Kilimangaro suit) to around 28*. After that riding becomes a matter of bragging rights rather then actual enjoyment. That and my Ninja stalls at every stop sign.

The gloves are bulky and their cable connection is a PIA but worth the hassle. Both the widder and the aerostitch are great products but the concepts are different. The Widder requires a snug fit for heat transfer, while I think the Aerostich product warms an air barrier, sorta like goose down.

Ride safe and ride 'till it snows. Then ride the sled!

veronaisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:44 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I have used a Widder vest and gloves over the last 9 years and they work really well. Not one problem and they held up great. Buz is the real expert though. I will defer to his opnion on heated gear.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:29 AM   #6
iamz
Founding Member

I've been using a Widder vest for the last two years and it works flawlessly. A snug fit around your torso is important to it's functioning properly so get proper measurements of your chest and waist. They tend to taper in at the bottom so loose your beer gut if you have one. If you have to, you can always slide the bottom zipper up to allow for more room. Since someone mentioned heated grips I'll weigh in on that one also. They don't really work that well once the temps drop to near freezing and below.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:03 AM   #7
jtherkel
Founding Member

Everyone in the group I used to ride with in NYC (www.citibeemers.com) swore by Gerbing clothing, so I bought the heated jacket liner. As others have stated, buy a snug-fitting size--not tight, just not "urban hipster" loose.

Other Clothing

What you wear *under* the liner makes a big difference as well. You want a snug, wicking, long sleeve undershirt. This prevents your skin from getting hot spots but allows maximum heat from the jacket liner.

Then it's the jacket liner, then some fleece and as many layers as you need to be comfortable.

Gerbing Heated Jacket Liner

http://www.gerbing.com/heat/jl.html

Battery

The heated jacket liner, plus the cold temps, will add load to the battery and can even prevent the bike from starting. Make sure your battery is in good condition before adding one of these accessories. Or get ready for a lot of push starting. I also use the thermo-troller thermostat thingy, and that's helpful because you can keep the vest low and save the battery during daylight, turning it up at night.

-John

'99 SV650
jtherkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:33 AM   #8
mikenomad
Founding Member

I discovered that heated grips only heat the palms of your hands and the insides of your fingers. The other side of your fingers and hand are cold. It's like facing a roaring bonfire on a cold day -- one side of you is hot and the other freezing.

Heated gloves are a better solution to cold hands.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:13 AM   #9
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default The Great Vest Predictor!

Why thank you longride.

I too have a Widder vest and gloves. Make sure you get the temp controller rather than the on/off switch cuz if you're riding and it's only a little cold (like 72) you can switch on just a little heat.

I've never used the gloves and I think they're covered in dust at the moment.

Out here where we have mountains, in can go from hot to cold in a hurry. I think longride uses his vest to heat up bratwurst while he rides.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:14 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

It's supposed to be 52 degrees overnight tonight down there so he should be able to tell us how well his vest is working.