Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-21-2006, 09:02 PM   #31
svtech
Registered Member

Default Re: Winter Tires - MOronic Advice?

Many, many older tires are still available.

They are called:

DO NOT's

Please consider other transportation options and continue posting.
svtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2006, 01:43 AM   #32
SuperBill
Founding Member

Gotta’ play the bail-out by ear. Preferable to accelerate away from the problem, but crossing traffic or lack of traction might negate this option. If it’s really slippery, bailing out is difficult as well – boots with lug soles help here (note that most purpose-built M/C boots DO NOT have lug soles).

The best bet is to take the cage if the weather is really crappy. All the slippery-condition advice should be reserved for those (inevitable) times when you go to work on a beautiful, clear, cold day and end up riding home in a sudden squall. (For you in-landers, this happens with alarming regularity if you live near a big lake or an ocean.)

Something I didn’t mention earlier about tires. Last year I rented an BMW R1200GS for ten days in the Alps (two-up). Whatever tires they had on that thing were very good on gravel and hard dirt, and were outstanding on asphalt – I never felt limited by traction under any condition (lowest temperatures were about 40f). The bike was reasonably new, so they were probably the stock tires. Nice tread pattern with big gaps between large blocks of tread. Sorry I didn’t catch the brand, but with a little research you should be able to find out what kind of tires they put on a 2005 R1200GS shipped to Switzerland.

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:50 AM   #33
everiman
Registered Member

I can't advise on tires that would fit an SV, but bias ply metzelers are the best wet weather tires I have ever used. Can you fit the same type of tire they recommend for v stroms on your bike?

If you are truly serious about riding in winter you should mount a side car. An MC with a sidecar can be ridden in any kind of weather. You may also want to consider a dual purpose or standard bike that puts you in a more upright position so you can catch the bike when the tires slip out on ya.

Of the roads you want to ride, gravel will give the least problems when it is below freezing. If there is no snow, they are no different than when it is warm. Even with a bit of ice they will give you no more problems than usual.

Urban is the worst. Black ice is invisible, it is usually present at intersections, especially busy ones where the cars sit idling waiting at stop lights or stop signs. The same applies to freeways if there is lots of stop and go. Any time the surface of the road is below freezing you can expect black ice on pavement, You can't see it, you can only feel it when the tires lose traction. Tip toe around corners and leave lots of room for stopping, back off the front brake, and plan your stops with the assumption that you will have no brakes. ABS would be useful in these conditions. If there has been any snow at all there will also be gravel in the corners until they clean the streets, around here that would be not till spring.

If there is uncleared snow and ice on the roads leave the bike at home unless you have mounted a sidecar.

Go shopping for outerwear at the snowmobile store. If you dress properly, layers, layers, layers, topped with windproof waterproof nylon outer wear you will be warm. All weather touring jackets and pants work really well too. I am assuming you are wearing a full face helmet, you should also have a scarf or even a neckerchief to cover the area of your neck between helmet and collar.

If you are dressed warmly enough, you won't need electric grip heaters. When your body gets cold, it pulls circulation from your hands and feet, and that is why they get cold. The next step is hypothermia. The initial stages of hypothermia is you get stupid, it's like being over tired or impaired by recreational substances. So cold hands and feet are your first warning signs that you are losing too much body heat and need to do something about it. You lose the most heat from your head, so wearing a hat keeps your hands warm. I find that a good full face helmet does the job, but face shield fogging is a problem I have not solved yet. Goose down vests are great for keeping warm as well. Look after keeping your head chest and knees etc. out the wind, wind chill is the enemy, keeping your speed down help too.

Finally if they use salt or other corrosive crap to melt snow, make sure you wash your bike lots.
everiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:19 AM   #34
DC_Dave
Founding Member

I don't agree. I've been riding year round for 15 years now, and I dropped my GS550E on ice in '88.

I crashed because I didn't get the clutch in quick enough and spent too much time trying to get the rear to hook up using the throttle. I think I rode halfway across the patch sliding the rear tire.

If I'd pulled in the clutch, I would have just coasted across the patch of ice (about 70 feet long). I know, because I've ridden across ice since then.

As far as riding through the winter, go for it! I've been riding in temps down to about 10F and never had a problem. I use a Stich, fleece jacket and pants, turtle on my neck, and either hippo hands, grip heaters, and heavy ski gloves (or some combination).

If you live in an area with a lot of winter precipitation, you're probably not going to want to ride through the winter.

But as far as ice goes, you do want to avoid riding when there's heavy When icing is possible (rain in the last few days, overnight temperatures below 30, typically closer to 20), I'm wary of ice just as I'm wary of sand and gravel. Use your judgment regarding whether there's too much ice and whether you'll be able to avoid it, but you can ride in icing conditions.

If you ride to work, and it snows during the day leaving a covering on the road, just drop the pressure in your tires to between 5-10psi and ride home slowly.

As far as tires go, tires do not warm up in the winter time. At all. Any tire warmth goes right into the pavement.

As such, I suggest you use the same tires in the winter you'd use on the surfaces you're riding on during the spring. No real difference, really, outside of racing compound tires that don't grip until they're warm.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:23 AM   #35
tomk2
Founding Member

Those Pirelli MT60RS Corsa look interesting but a quick google search doesn't turn up any US distribution for that model

I've run Pirelli Scorpion Syncs on the MTS, fairly soft tires with a motard style tread pattern & they're available in 120/60/17 and 160/60/17
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:53 AM   #36
jbourne
Founding Member

Thanks for the informative advice - the SV takes the same rear as the DL (V Strom) - 17; but unfortunately the SV is a 17inch front, and enduro tires rarely come in that size (aside from the Pirelli MT60 AFAIK).

The SV-S isn't as nicely upright as a DL, but its not nearly as nasty as the super sport 600s. In the long term, I think a DL might be more my style, so long as I can gear it a bit higher than stock.

Sidecar is not an option for me - no parking space for it. Though my granddad used to drive one and give all the grandkids joy rides in it - v.fun. Cage is simply not an option for me this year; but I do have the option of not travelling at all when its too nasty.

Gear wise, yeah I wear a wool scarf; touring rain pants - forgot the brand, but they have a removable liner plus armor and padding - they are toasty warm. I'm currently using some Joe Rocket insulated, armored synthetic gloves for dealing with the rain and low temps - they aren't a great fit or super warm, but they do the job better than my thinsulate leather gloves; boots - synthetic Alpine Stars wet weather racing; jacket - also Alpine Stars leather, armored and padded, with a removable liner. My toes and legs stay warm, but I do need something to cover the leather jacket in rain/low temps. Gloves are okay, my fingers stay warm enough to be nimble, but they do feel a little chill - so maybe grip warmers is next there.

Fogging has been an issue just once - since then I buff both sides of the visor (and my sunglasses if wearing them) with dishwashing liquid and that keeps them pretty clear.

Thanks again for the lucid response - tons of good info there to take in.

jbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:03 AM   #37
jbourne
Founding Member

Scorpions Syncs look like a good possibility - soft doesn't faze me, I'm pretty gentle on tires. That's one downside I've heard to the MT60s, that they are a little hard, but I don't know if that's hard-from-a-super-sport-race-day POV or hard-from-an-iron-butt-touring POV. If its the former, then no problem

Apparently that guy, RandyO, over on the svrider.com site uses the MT60s in New Hampshire - so there's likely some way of getting hold of them ... x fingers.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:18 AM   #38
jbourne
Founding Member

The tires on the R1200GS sound worth checking out - I read through the Swiss site and navigate to their spec. sheets, but they don't list the tire brand there, only the wheel and tire sizes. Any BMW folk out there know off-hand?
Old 10-22-2006, 07:30 AM   #39
jbourne
Founding Member

Cool about the tire pressure thing - good advice to have on hand.

Winter precipitation here is generally pretty low (last five years anyway). So there's a good chance that I can ride some of the time.

Tire wise, I have to replace my rear anyway (Shinko 009 Raven) - its just too slippery at the best of times compared with the front, and a bad fit to my usage. So my hunt is to find a better tire than the current front (Z4) and buy a matched set instead.

So maybe the question I'm really asking is what makes a good tire for mixed use (inc. gravel and wet weather) on an SV?

Old 10-22-2006, 09:41 AM   #40
anrajala
Founding Member

In Finland we use metallic studs in the winter tires. A bit slippery on bare tarmac and also wear pretty rapidly, but the only solution on ice.

Here is a link to a typical half lunatic winter meeting at minus 15 degrees celsius. Text is in finnish but there are pictures in the bottom. Odd as it sounds there were also many nutters from Germany and one from France.

http://www.nettimp.com/kuva/tr2004/tr2004.htm

- cruiz-euro

anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote