Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-10-2006, 12:44 AM   #1
Grum
Registered Member

Default Re: K1200GT Shift Clunk.

Clunks when you shift! Just like a Harley! What's wrong with that?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2006, 12:47 AM   #2
redlinepilot
Registered Member

I rode one of the first demo GT's at Daytona and first gear seamed clunky and I noticed the other gears were not as bad or as noticable. Technique was a player as you slowed to a stop and pulled in the clutch clicking down to neutral and wondering when the timing and speed approach to stop was good to click into first and avoid the clunk. I did achieve that touch during my ride but both times I started the bike parked I got the clunk. I don't think its broken it's just the character of the tranny. The other technique is to roll the bike a little and shift in first before starting the bike and leaving it in first when you turn it off.
redlinepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:57 AM   #3
Dueducs
Founding Member

I've always felt like shifting a BMW was like stirring a box of hammers, but with the new generation of R1200 bikes and completely revamped K bikes, the trannys and the shifting have gotten tremendously better. My '04 K12GT wasn't terrible, but my HP2 is night and day different (better). An R1150RT I rode once felt awful, clunking through all the gears.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:42 AM   #4
gadman
Registered Member

I have an 06 K1200GT(From BMW of Daytona) and yes it clunks when I shift no matter how delicate I shift. First, second and third are the worst but fourth fifth and sixth are pretty smooth.....Guess it's just the nature of the beast but you would think for 21K they could have smoothed it out a bit more as well as develop a seat that wasn't a complete ass numbing experience.....But I still love the way this baby performs !!!!
gadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:45 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

It's a common problem with the shaft drive set-up that BMW delivers. As the bike gains miles (like 5000+) this will smooth. But it will never completely go away. The shifts between 3nd and 6th are probably not as hard, are they? Want smooth buy a FJR. They're buttery compaired to the BMW.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:33 AM   #6
snowdg
Registered Member

Thanks to all for the responces. I'm going to stop complaining about this issue,but I sure wuold like to hear from anyone who gets enough miles on their bike so that the clunk goes away.You should always have something to look forward to.. snowdg
snowdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:17 AM   #7
maladg
Registered Member

BMW's have long had a rep as needing 15-20k miles to settle down. And thats 'zactly how my late prod monolever airhead has behaved.

The tranny did smooth out but never got as smooth as my ST11.

While an answer to a question you did not ask - my ST11 is hyper sensitive to shift linkage lubrication and idle speed. When all is right - like buttah. When a bit dry - think callous on left toe. I've only looked at a GT up close a couple of times. The ST11 has a long multi jointed monkey motion shift linkage. If the GT has one or more of them thar ball & socket thingies (heims?, hiems???) , I'd butter it up good.

Another little thing may be worth a glance. I have no idea about K12 idle speed adjustment. I could be alluding to something that is as out of date as dress spats - but IF you can play around with it might be worth a shot. Factory set point is a great starting point. Then IF adjustable, try 100 or so rpm up and down and see if that helps...
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:20 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

It's so good to see people getting the benefits of that premium pricing.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:32 AM   #9
iamz
Founding Member

I was thinking that also. There sure seems to be a lot of whining coming from BMW owners as of late. Maybe BMW should recall these folks and fix that whine so the rest of us don't have to hear it.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:13 AM   #10
bross
Registered Member

My 06 RT clunks a bit going into 1st but the other gears are OK. I say just OK, they are pretty darn smooth for a BMW but no where near my Kawasaki MeanStreak! Switch your tranny to synthetic and that will help a bit, but bottom line is it's never gonna shift like a Japanese bike. Good attitude, don't worry about it and ride the wheels off it.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote