Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #21
manalagi001
Registered Member

Default Re: K1200GT Shift Clunk.

I think we've pretty well established that the clunk is normal. I don't even think it's undesirable. It's just a part of the bike's character. I've heard people complain about Ducatis having a long throw to their shifting, too. But it's not really a problem. I've ridden bikes where the shifting was so short and buttery that I felt like I wasn't even shifting. I kind of like the positive feel of a good clunk sometimes, you know? I am not a BMW or Ducati owner, but I can appreciate this fact as an aspect of the bike's character that does not diminish the bike's enjoyability or performance one bit. Now, if the gearbox frequently REFUSES to shift, or you hit false neutrals between gears, or can't find neutral or some other gear you wish to select, then that is a problem worth complaining about, and complaining about LOUDLY. Everything else is preference.
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #22
manalagi001
Registered Member

I think we've pretty well established that the clunk is normal. I don't even think it's undesirable. It's just a part of the bike's character. I've heard people complain about Ducatis having a long throw to their shifting, too. But it's not really a problem. I've ridden bikes where the shifting was so short and buttery that I felt like I wasn't even shifting. I kind of like the positive feel of a good clunk sometimes, you know? I am not a BMW or Ducati owner, but I can appreciate this fact as an aspect of the bike's character that does not diminish the bike's enjoyability or performance one bit. Now, if the gearbox frequently REFUSES to shift, or you hit false neutrals between gears, or can't find neutral or some other gear you wish to select, then that is a problem worth complaining about, and complaining about LOUDLY. Everything else is preference.
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #23
rjosephc
Registered Member

I read the previous post on this and figured I couldn't comment because of the new K12 models having a wet clutch. But it sounds like the trannys are still a bit sloppy like the one on my '03 R1150R.

I know the clunk of which you speak. It's loud and disconcerting. Makes you really feel like on the next clunky shift you'll shear the dogs off that gear selector.

I've got 35k miles on my R. The Clunk does not go away on it's own (at least the clunk to which I am referring; I could have the wrong one... clunky BMWs). I can go along and clackity-clack clunk my way through each gear if I want. Or I can shift it the way that I think the tranny prefers, which gives no audible clunk; just a nice little high-tech sounding snick.

To get no clunk just shift faster. DON'T pull in the clutch THEN shift. Pull the clutch and shift at (almost) the same time. Don't shift harder. Don't preload. Just seriously reduced the amount of time between the clutch disengaging and the shift lever moving. You can pretty much think of it as the two motions going at the same time. Rengaging the clutch with the proper amount of throttle is a different thing; it has no bearing on the clunking of the transmission. To get clunk out, just get to that next gear faster.

My BMW transmission is a clangy (clunky) mother. If I don't hit that shift timing just right it sounds like it's going to throw parts all over the place. I don't like that sound, so I'm always concerned about getting that timing right.

I've heard other beemer riders going down the street clanging their trannys through every shift. I guess this means that the clunk is probably not that big a deal and probably not going to kill your transmission. I still don't like it. Sounds like crap.

Also, with going down to first... same story, do it fast and in time with the clutch disengagement. If the 2nd to 1st downshift is mistimed you'll hear an awesome clunk.

I find that generally, if I mess up the 2-to-1 I end up in neutral. If I'm still rolling, disengaging the clutch again and just pushing it down into 1st WILL produce the same killer clunk. Don't do this.

Instead, stop first (this is only cool if you are stopping anyway), hold the clutch in (wait a couple seconds for the transmission internals to stop spinning), then roll the bike forward or back a few inches (literally) while applying a slight downward pressure to the shifter it should just noiselessly slip into 1st gear like your car would. If you make the shift immediately after pulling in the clutch without waiting those few seconds for the tranny internals to stop spinning, you'll get the same killer clunk.

Ok ok, so if you're still rolling in neutral after f'ing up a 2nd-to-1st downshift AND you're not planning on stopping, things get a little tricky (if you don't want the clunk, that is). This situation becomes a double-clutch w/ throttle-blip (kinda like a heel-toeing in a car, but no brakes) type downshift; which is kinda hard to do when rolling at like <10mph. And... I'm tired of typing so I'm not going to go through the steps. But if you do it right... ta da! No clunk.

That's all I got.

rjosephc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:20 PM   #24
rjosephc
Registered Member

Wait wait... that double-clutch business for the 2nd-to-1st downshift only works well with the older dry-clutch bikes (I think; def with dry, not sure with wet). I'm not sure about the new wet-clutch Ks. Same goes for the stopping and rolling and gently pressing the shifter down into first gear (def works for dry). I think. Do the new wet-clutch K bikes share the engine and tranny oil? Or is it separate like with the older dry-clutchers. I haven't ridden the new Ks.

Meh, whatever.
rjosephc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:30 PM   #25
Ticketfighter
Founding Member

I rode an '06 K1200GT two-up last summer on an Edelweiss tour of the Alps. It clunked big time in the first three gears - better in the last three. My girlfriend noticed right away. I've been riding for over 35 years and think I've pretty much got shifting a bike figured out. I tried many different techniques but nothing helped very much. It still clunked to one degree or another. I expected a much more refined package for $20K. I've ridden buddies' R-bikes and they weren't near as clunky as the K-GT. The good news is I didn't come home dying to sell the Kawasaki ZZR1200. It has 40K miles and is going strong.
Ticketfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:07 AM   #26
SmokeU
Registered Member

I enjoy a few BMW models, especially the R1100S and the like. I just don't think they feel like they are worth the premium price.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:29 AM   #27
klrmiles
Founding Member

Had this same problem with a 97 RTP. Old beemer guy at a rally told me to apply gentle up pressure on the shifter for 2 or 3 seconds before I shift. He said something about spinning up the bearings or something like that. All I know is that it worked. Nice quiet shifts when cruising around town.
klrmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:30 AM   #28
bigjames
Premium Member

It's a Gertag tranny, what do you expect? Incidently, they make the V-Rods tranny too...so it MIGHt just be a Harley tranny!

And, you bought a first year BMW (or for that matter any European vehicle), I did that once, will NEVER do that again...

The BMW Dealer in Jessup, MD is Bob's BMW. One of the best in the business. Their service department has saved my a$$ at rallies quite a distance from their shop on more than one occasion. If Bob still owns it, find him and talk to him personally about the problem.
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:08 AM   #29
Akuma007
Registered Member

I love Kawasaki bikes but my ZX10R has a serious "clunk" when putting it into first gear. And it seems to be a Kawasaki trait, as my ZX7R did the same thing.

I hopped on my friends R1 and first gear engagement seems ridiculously smooth compared to the Kwaka.
Akuma007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:34 AM   #30
snowdg
Registered Member

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to adjust the shift lever this weekend. I'll give you a report after the operation. Thanks, snowdg Va.USA
snowdg is offline   Reply With Quote