Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-10-2006, 05:20 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: K1200GT Shift Clunk.

Oh, they'll fix it all right. It took only 15 years to fix the side stand issue. Give 'em time.

Clumky shifting on airheads is one thing, but is this not supposed to be a sportbike?

I do have to admit though that the BMW automobile division could take some lessons on reliability from the motorcycle division. Every BMW car owner I've personally known gave up and bought Japanese.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2006, 06:41 AM   #12
Tigercub
Founding Member

I live a short distence from our local police department and the motorcops all ride BMWs. You can hear them shifting into first and second above all the other noise from the bike the parking lot, traffic, etc.

And when they pull into their drive you can hear the "clunk" as they downshift into first. It must be normal for those bikes.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:59 AM   #13
wwalkersd
Founding Member

I haven't ridden the new GT, but a general technique that often helps is to "preload" the shifter a bit (i.e., put a light pressure on it in the direction of the shift, up or down) before you pull in the clutch.

But remember, it's a BMW axiom: "Loud Shifts Save Lives!"
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:15 AM   #14
maladg
Registered Member

Clutch splines that fret themselves to death if not lubed annually/frequently (or 20K or so), weak as water alternators, cheapo Wherle diode boards, cheap-o Valeo (French!) starters with GLUED magnets that come unglued and can't be rebuilt, the $2000 O- ring kerfuffle, some sorry assed pfenning pinching accountant axing the 25 pfenning groove and circlip that hold the big tranny mainshaft bearing in place, the move away from taper roller wheel bearings at the transition to the monolever years, about 622 combinations of oil filters (hinged, non hinged, short, long) gaskets, washers, o-rings, etc., Bing CV carbs with short lifespan diaphrams....I could go on for several LONG paragraphs.

Still, when properly maintained not only will a BMW bike last a long, long, long time ( and frequently frustrate you every other step of the way), when they are in their sweet spot - none of it matters.

And lordy do us BMW folks whine. Yes, we do.

I think that there is a long term Euro consipracy here: BMW bikes MUST be designed by Ducati and assembled out in a shed behind the old Guzzi factory. That would explain both the Good - which is very, very, very good and the Bad -which is, well you know...
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:19 AM   #15
maladg
Registered Member

Default "Fixed" Airheads

Oops...the diatribe is re Type 247 Airheads only. If you want an Oilhead or Slushhead list, well I don't have either of those. But their list is just as long...

But they are fairly easy to work on, the aftermarket has answered a lot of what I mentioned and the critical circlip can be retrofitted easily at your mandatory 50-60 tranny rebuild (90-100 if it had the circlip...)
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:56 AM   #16
Gritboy
Founding Member

Different bikes and especially different manufacturers have their own distinct shifting feel/sound. I know when I rode a friend's 1100GS I really didn't like the feel of the shifting, and even the Kawi's I've ridden have a ka-chuck in how they shift (not bad, but definitely mechanical). If you don't like that clunky feel/sound look to a Suzuki or Yahama -- both shift like butter IMHO -- (or some others) but more importantly, test ride bikes and put 'em through the paces BEFORE you buy. Get the bike, NOT the brand that feel's right to you.

Oh, and shaft jacking/surging is common on shaft drive bikes so that's something you either accept or get a belt or chain drive moto.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:12 AM   #17
iamz
Founding Member

Default Re:

Being the owner of a Guzzi myself, I should be insulted. But alas, I am not, because while mine has been trouble free so far, you speak the truth.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:46 AM   #18
Injin
Registered Member

Have a look at this:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5706

The best web group re BMW K1200

Best wishes from Australia.

Ken

06 BMW K1200 GT
47 Indian Chief (A REAL Indian!)
1922 Indian Powerplus (another REAL Indian)
Injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #19
SmokeU
Registered Member

My ancient Concours shifts quite smoothly. I'd be dead before I wore out 6+ Concours compared to buying one new Beemer.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:29 AM   #20
ValkBandit
Registered Member

achtung!

you VILL klunk und you VILL like it!

BMWs are great bikes if you can learn to overlook their idiocyncrasies. i love my k1200lt, but if honda every builds a gold wing that can carve, i'm there.

don't ever expect a solution to BMW idiosyncrasies from the factory. you VILL be disappointed.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote