Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-09-2006, 07:06 AM   #1
yossef
Founding Member

Default Re: Fork Questions for a Honda Project.

nothing specific but for less headaches, pick a full front end with triple clamps, front wheel, discs and brakes. Then the only interface you'll need to deal with is the steering stem bearings, relatively easy compared to machining wheel and disk spacers, etc.

-- yossef
yossef is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2006, 07:21 AM   #2
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Send 'em in...

To Aftershocks in Palo Alto California by UPS. Phil there specializes in all kinds of suspension. He did the forks on my '82 Ascot 500 road racer, which used '83 Interceptor forks. It handled beautifully.

He can toss out the air-adjustable BS and install a cartridge fork emulator, install the perfect spring rate, and set the oil level. All this will be just right for your riding style, weight and bike.

He can also rebuild the shocks, although you really should call Works Performance and see what they have for you.

I've used him many times and am always impressed by his quick service, knowledge, and reasonable pricing.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:54 AM   #3
NLJ
Founding Member

www.sohc4.us/forums

All the Honda Nighthawk information you could ever want if you're interested in doing the work yourself.

NLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:01 AM   #4
jesskauffman
Registered Member

Default Re: Send 'em in...

Thanks for the tip. Reworking the stock shocks with a cartridge emulator sounds like it would deliver the result I'm looking for without the extra work involved in changing to a different fork. Since I mostly commute and do weekend touring with the bike, that sounds like a pretty cost effective solution. I'll definitely give Aftershocks a call.
jesskauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #5
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Is the Nighthawk S the best bike not commonly refered to as "Great"? I always liked them.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:40 AM   #6
gforces
Founding Member

Many front ends are interchangeable. You may have conflicts regarding speedometer types and may have to compensate for differences in steering stops, fyi.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #7
staff
Registered Member

Default Re: Send 'em in...

While you ahve the forks out and off, service your steering head and wheel bearings. Lube your cables, replace brake lines, and I'll bet your calipers and master cylinder sould use a rebuild. Look at your brake rotors for warping and to see if they are still in service limits.

Then check the swingarm bushings and change driveshaft oil...and does the Nighthawk need the output splines lubed?

So after all that stuff is done, your Nighthawk should be good for another 20 years on the road. That's a classic bike and I hope you keep it in nice shape and ride it a lot.
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:44 AM   #8
2slo
Registered Member

Yes! I bought a Red left-over '84 when I came back from Germany in '85. I think I paid $2700 for it. It was great to just get on and ride - very low maintenance and it handled better than my '81 Gpz 550.

2slo
2slo is offline   Reply With Quote