Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-06-2006, 06:54 AM   #1
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Winter Riding Questions

I would add just one more tip. Strap your bike into the bed of your friends pickup truck and have him haul you into work.

I was in Chicago in March once and froze my ass off. It was colder than Philly in January.

OK, seriously, the biggest problem I have in the rain, other than traffic is visibility. My face shield fogs, followed by rain on the shield and once my glasses get fogged or wet, I'm blind. So, don't wear glasses. Find an anti-fog shield for your helmet. Buy a pair of gloves with the little index-finger wiper to clear off the water droplets from your face shield.

But, between rain, idiot drivers, pot holes, oil and other debris on the roads I'd leave the bike home and find another way to work. If you have covered parking at work and the weather is clear in the morning you can time the ride home or get a ride when it rains.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2006, 06:57 AM   #2
articulat_66
Registered Member

I commute down to about 32 and have never had tire problems with my michelin pilot roads. I don't close the vents in my helmet in the rain and again haven't had any problems. Sometimes fogging is a problem. I don't know about the making breating easier.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:58 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

1) You don't need the vents open in cool weather anyway. Yes, rain will get in and get your head wet if they are open, but I doubt it will ruin anything.

2) First, winter temps are usually colder than 30-50F. December thru February can be brutal, and you won't believe how cold you will get no matter what you have on. Get something that covers your neck and face for sure. That cold air up the helmet will freeze your lips together. Watch out for black ice and accumilation of salt on the roads. The tire coice doesn't make much difference. You have to be careful when it's cold. There are plenty of days it's best to take the car. Learn which days those are.

3) Stay farther behind. What you will notice when it gets colder is water coming out the exhaust and freezing on the ground in front of you. Makes for lots of fun if you stop on one at the next light or your foot lands on one.

Ride smart and stay off two wheels when it's nasty out. I can tell you that from experience.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:07 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

If your helmet gets wet inside just keep it in your domicile so that the heat will dry it.

I use a plexifairing on my bike and therefore I can leave my helmet faceshield open in the cold in traffic. Even with vents your faceshield is going to fog up at a stop unless you use some anti-fogging agent or leave it up. A plexifairing would be a good investment on a CB450 for winter.

If it gets cold enough to freeze don't ride. No tires will keep you up if you hit a patch of ice....unless you buy spiked ice racing tires.

You have to decide if commuting when its really cold and pouring rain is worth the trouble. Don't forget about all the people on the roads in cars and SUVs who will be hydroplaning near you on their bald tires.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:11 AM   #5
robinson281
Founding Member

I would avoid riding when the temp is below freezing unless the roads are completely dry. For warmth, try Gerbing.com. They have heated jackets, pants, sox, and gloves that work very well.
robinson281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:43 AM   #6
Dark8
Registered Member

For the face shield fogging, use a Fog City shield. I ride year round and it never fogs up. And living in the PNW it rains a lot and averages around 40 degrees in the winter.

I also have found out the the Michelin Pilot Power stays soft in the lower temps and handle cold rainy roads just fine. Much better then Dunlop 220s and Bridgestone 020s.

I also have a set of waterproof gloves with a wiper built into the back of the thumb. Great little invention.

A friend will bail you out of jail. A GOOD friend will be sitting next to you saying \"Man that was fun!\"
Dark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:56 AM   #7
Tigercub
Founding Member

Mine leaves brown streaks on the face shield.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:02 AM   #8
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Best Mod

My recommendation would be to add heated grips to your bike. The parts only cost around $20 and it takes about an hour to do the install. Best mod I've ever made to my bikes, including my track bike.

You'll be amazed at how much of a difference it makes to have warm hands.

Anti-fog devices: Get a fog city. Nothing else compares. That doesn't do any good for your glasses. If I suspect it is a glass fogging morning I put in my contacts.

Oh, and winter comuting implies more riding in the dark. I have lots of reflective tape all over my helmet and bike. I may look like a dork, and probably did before the tape, but at least the cagers can SEE that I'm a dork.

YMMV
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:10 AM   #9
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Wrap grip warmers. Heated vest or jacket. I'd listen to longride, he's an experienced rider that lives in your area. If he doesn't ride I wouldn't.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:23 AM   #10
Buzglyd
Founding Member

And you live there for what reason?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote