Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-06-2006, 08:50 AM   #11
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Winter Riding Questions

Two things might help:

[*]For ani-fogging this is the best thing is <a href="http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=24027&department=601&Division=6">S hoei

CX-1V Clear Shield W/Pinlock Pins"</a> Much better than Fog City..
[*]Tips from the experts

ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2006, 08:51 AM   #12
ksquid
Banned

You beat me to it again
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:25 AM   #13
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

True story here. I was at O'Hare last March flying to Florida, and I was standing outside waiting to check my luggage in with a few other people. It was maybe 50F and the wind was blowing a bit. I was in a t-shirt and the girl in front of me had a heavy jacket, hat and gloves on, and was shivering like a dog shytting razorblades. After a few minutes she looks over at me and says "Aren't you cold?" and I said "Not really. You aren't from around here are you?" She said "No, I live in California". Visions of Buz with his heated vest came to mind!
Old 10-06-2006, 12:35 PM   #14
stlarson
Registered Member

Midwest represent, original Minnesotan here.

The very first time I came to CA was to visit my aunt and uncle down in San Diego. That night we went out to dinner and being March the evening temperature had fallen to the mid 60s. Out came the heavy coats for them as we were going to be at an outdoor table. At this table they also had those free-standing heaters, which I had never seen anywhere else before. The entire night they kept asking if I was cold or wanted a coat, as I was just wearing some light pants and a shirt with the sleeves rolled up. It was just too funny, at the time in Minnesota it was something like -20F.

People keep telling me that my ability to handle the cold will fade the longer I live in LA but going on my third year now I still ride comfortably in 60F weather with the liner out of my Phoenix jacket.
stlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:46 PM   #15
DerkT
Registered Member

1> Water gets in. Won't hurt the helmet. They're designed to be washed. Don't worry. They won't be open below 40F anyway.

2> Electric gear is the answer. You must first verify your bikes charging system will handle the extra load. Once that's done start with heated gloves or grips at a minimum. If your commute is longer than 30 minutes then step up to a heated vest. (These suggestions take into account your riding gear) Tires don't matter. You're on two with a contact patch of a half dollar -vs- four with a patch larger than a Canadian bill.

3>Back off! Most newbies tend to continue to drive like a cager. Don't stop 12" off the back bumper of the cage infront of you. On your bike you should be stopping at the extreme left or right of the bumper infront of you with a distance which allows IMMEDIATE escape if the guy behind you can't stop. Study proper riding techniques at every opportunity. RIDER magazine is one of the best. (Find every article ever written by the late Lawrence Grodsky. His articles have taught me more than any other class I've taken.

I've commuted in less than 10F for 30 minutes on either an ST1100 or a '00 Road King for over 8 years. I also did the same at over 5 hours one way at no less than 28F. Yes, I call it commuting because I lived in OKC,OK and worked in Hot Springs, AR and the commute was weekly for over a year-and-a-half.

Talk and listen to other commuters from your area but also do everything you can to continue to grow as a rider. Commuting in extreme conditions will accelerate the learning curve. Have fun!
DerkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:51 PM   #16
skeepee
Registered Member

You're supposed to sit on the seat.
skeepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:53 PM   #17
skeepee
Registered Member

I had a Nolan N100 that had a similar anti-fog system. No-brainer installation, but a properly installed Fog City is no less effective.
skeepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:30 PM   #18
dmorga1
Founding Member

Hi, Raj, Chicago Honda rider here (1994 CB 1000), and I also use a Shoei RF-1000. Let me tell you right now, pay attention to these other Midwesterner posts. If it's below 32, STOP. I tried to be an all-weather rider the past 2 winters, and I had a lay down last winter that scared me pretty bad--I got lucky. It was about 20 as it was for most of January last year (the problem with averages is they are usually surrounded by lows and highs). I was coming home from a restaurant in the Gold Coast. Streets were dry and had been for days. Stopped at a red light, no right on red. The light went green, I was making a right. I pulled my left foot up, rolled on the throttle, and watched the bike go 20 feet in front of me. Just like that! There wasn't a drop of moisture on the ground except the kind I couldn't see, and even on those warm city streets, it happened. If it had been a right on red and I had done so, I could have been killed.

I don't even ride in the rain much in Chicago because 3 million cars leave so much damned sludge on the roads that they are going to be like glass even after that initial rain. I can't believe how low-traction some of the interstates are even after a good rain.

Do yourself a favor--I'm as hard core as anybody in this city, but come January, buy a can of Sta-bil and wait it out.

If you do ride in the rain, leave tons of room and be gentle on the brakes. The problem is, even with great tires, the distance it requires to stop safely on a bike in the rain on our streets is sometimes greater than traffic will allow, and people will continually cut you off (now I know how truckers feel). I've often almost rear-ended folks because they cut me off in the rain and I was on the verge of lock-up trying to stop the bike.

This is not a great city for motorcyclists in inclement weather. Good riding!
dmorga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:59 PM   #19
dean_1
Founding Member

RAJ,

Stop reading after Tigercubs reply. This is the only correct answere.
dean_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:28 AM   #20
flyin_
Founding Member

If your inexperienced I would stay home most cold days. You would not beleve how hard it can be to ride in cold weather. If your going to go out don't drive when the roads are frozen and get a heated vest and grips!
flyin_ is offline   Reply With Quote