Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 09-30-2006, 06:59 PM   #1
Cryptoman
Registered Member

Default Re: An SV650 for HDshane.

Well I think as a newbie you're bound to get bored with the SV at some point (probably within a year) and wonder what else is out there. Also, you'll likely drop the bike while learning. For these reasons, I would recommend that you get a used bike. You'll likely be able to sell it for about what you paid for it when you're ready to upgrade.

Having said that, we bought a new SV for my wife after she passed her MSF course. She did drop it, but fortunately I had installed frame sliders, and the only damage was a bent lever and scratched bar end. She ended up not sticking with it, so now I'm riding the bike. I must say that it's a real hoot, even for someone with 30+ years of riding experience on a lot of different machines. YMMV
Cryptoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2006, 11:41 PM   #2
eekadog
Founding Member

buy a sportster...and keep the sv
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:08 AM   #3
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Always buy used if at all possible. Considering the vehicle depreciation and the fact that many new riders drop their bikes (I wonder how many experienced riders drop their bikes), I would recommend used. If you decide that bike is not right for you, you won't have too much invested.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:10 AM   #4
stlarson
Registered Member

I've got a 2002 SV650S, bought used. As it was quite beat up on top of the previous owner moving I basically named my price. It left me with a good enough deal that all the broken crap can and is being fixed, cleaned up, or replaced, and it will still be cheaper than a new 650S from a dealer.

You did mention insurance, but one thing to keep in mind is if you can actually get comp coverage against theft. I live in West Hollywood, and neither Geico or Progressive would provide it. A bike really needs to be in a severe accident to be junked, so odds are that if you ever found yourself without it theft is a pretty likely cause, rather than you having taken some spill which completely destroyed the machine. Thieves would probably be more interested in lifting that shiny new R6 or GSXR than your second or third-hand SV.

As for performance, if you're already getting freaked out and have yet to even buy a motorcycle, the SV should serve you well for quite some time. Fear of riding and 600 or 1000cc land rockets really don't mix well. I love my SV and it's plenty quick for runs through the hills and into the desert. Really the only thing I would consider something different for is long distance touring. I find it comfortable enough to ride for several hours but the range is lacking.
stlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:31 AM   #5
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

You should ask this question here:

http://forum.svrider.com/

Old 10-01-2006, 03:31 AM   #6
redlinepilot
Registered Member

An SV650 is a great starter bike for sure but once you have ridden the bike for a year and or 8000 miles you can personalize it just like the Harley's. A stock bike can get boring after time so you spend a little money and buy a an exhaust system like a slip on canister. Upgrade the original tires, add some chrome to to the hand and foot contols and really look at what you really want from your bike. Once you achieve these changes the bike's character, appearance and power delivery is so much better than stock. If your not into upgrading and personalizing than just leave it stock and trade up. I would increase the engine performace overall. Tune the bike to produce at least 15% more than stock. Measure the power at your local dyno and compare the before and after reading. Just think, the bike has 70 HP stock at the crank and you loose 10% from driveline losses. That means you should have 63hp at the rear wheels. Do the math, add 15% and you should shoot for more than 72hp at the rear wheel to really feel the upgrade. OK so much for that, lets talk about the real benifit. Take your bike for a ride and see how it behaves around town and on the road. Ride with your buddies and enjoy the the little bike that could.
redlinepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:47 AM   #7
nweaver
Founding Member

Default If you get "Bored" with the SV...

If you get bored with the SV, get a GSX-R front end installed, an aftermarked bling shock installed, take it to the track, and shread the pavement.

At Sears, AFMers in 650 twins (basically SVs set up as above with some minor engine tweaking) are pulling 1:44.5 lap times.

Thats ~6 seconds a lap worse than the best in Formula Pacific (anything goes and the best riders).

The SV is FAST FAST FAST if you ride it well.

I WISH to gosh I started with an SV as my first bike, I'd still have it. INstead, I'm really thinking strongly of getting an 07 ABS'ed SV next year.
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:49 AM   #8
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Also, BUY NEW.

I've seen SVs for $6k OTD, $6.3K OTD for SV-S this time of year.

With used SVs fetching $4k+, just buy new.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:20 AM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

Great choice- yes there are parts to make the bike better and you won't spend a fortune. 1- racetec gold valves- ask a dealer. Best thing you can do for the front suspension. If you're willing, penske shock or works probably make one, too. 2- aftermarket slip on exhaust- full systems cost too much for that bike and a can will do fine in this case. 3- Injected bikes need to be re-mapped for the can or carb needs a jet kit if you buy an older model. 4- Better tires- grip means fun. 5- take a good riding school- Kevin Schawntz School, Primore's Star school, Keith Code's Superbike school- anythng is good- it will make you a better rider and you'll thank me for the idea: I know, I did the Schwantz school at Road Atlanta.

Remember, there is an entire races class based on these bikes. They are pretty fun in the right hands and will hang with any bike until it becomes a top speed contest and you're a fool if you only care about top speed.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:28 AM   #10
schizuki
Founding Member

"I also outgrew thinking Harley's were the only bike for me."

Good for you.

The SV650 is a wonderful choice. Make note of anyone who tells you "you'll outgrow it" - that person is an a$$hat whose advice about anything should be ignored because of his empirical a$$hattery.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote