Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 10-01-2006, 05:37 AM   #11
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: An SV650 for HDshane.

"Well I think as a newbie you're bound to get bored with the SV at some point (probably within a year)"

Yeah. The SV650 is boring. Check out the road tests and the user reviews and the SV650 websites - that's the consensus. Boring. Check out the guys racing SV650s at club races - they're barely able to stifle their yawns while they're riding. Check out the review in the MO archive - it just says "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz".

Yep. Boring. That's the SV650.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2006, 06:17 AM   #12
jcfritz28
Founding Member

I've always felt the best way to pick your path, is to figure out what you want out of it, and what type of person you are.

Are you wanting to be a track guy - ninja 250 or 500 used, sv650, used supersport 600, new 1000. You can really learn to push the lower class bikes, and then be better to move up, than jumping onto a 1000 and crashing it a couple times a session. That get old.

If you're wanting to be a track guy, but feel that's too tedious, and you want to buy one bike and that's it, then maybe a several year old 1000, with more comfortable ergos, streetable power delivery, and price. Something like that.

If all of your friends are harley guys, well nothing is going to quite do it besides a cruiser, or a hardley.

If your like me, a SV650 (or and fz6, 599, 919, ninja 650,etc) is just totally fun and you'll never get bored with it, unless you are an adrelin junkie, or woried about what your friends think. then get a hayabusa.

Besides, if you decide you want more, you can always move to another bike without much worry. And the seond one will be the right one, if the first one wasn't exactly what you wanted.

Where and how you ride also make a difference. Are you a drag racer? Do you commute? Long commute? 100 mile tours? Back road bomber?

It's hard to go wrong with an SV650, considering the after market. If your more sport touring oriented, but on a budget a nice FZ6 may be right for you as well.
jcfritz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:20 AM   #13
bigandblack
Registered Member

no matter what bike you buy, in the first year you will find things you don't like about it and second guess youself. You will read about a new bike within a month after buying whatever bike you choose, and you will think you should have waited. But you never think about that stuff while you are actually riding a bike. Just buy one and enjoy it for what it is for a couple of years. Then sell it/trade it if you want something else.

I would suggest buying a used bike though because if you don't like it you won't lose as much money.

I would also go with the sv over the harley. As your skills improve that is a bike that you will not get bored with.
bigandblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:25 AM   #14
maladg
Registered Member

Forget about accessories, upgrades, outgrowing and on and on, ie., quit worrying about all the wrong stuff. A mistake noobies and vets alike make over and over.

Do the following:

1. Go ride a LOT and have fun. Never ride over your head.

2. Spend the money you would have spent on accessories and upgrades on good riding gear and a riding school or two.

Then once you have some time & training under your belt and you start thinking and obsessing about that next bike - then is the time to upgrade the SV and hit the track!!

Have fun, ride well and quit worrying!!!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:02 AM   #15
stlarson
Registered Member

Default Re: Also, BUY NEW.

Now figure in the additional tax, title, licensing, and insurance on the new bike versus used, and the fact you *can* find 1999-2002 first gen SV's for $3k or below as in my case.

Still think a new bike costs roughly the same?
stlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:03 AM   #16
ksquid
Banned

I too originally thought I had to have an HD. Then asked my self why do I want a motorcycle? Basically my motorcycle is my "poor man's" corvette or sportscar. However, after having a motorcycle for 5 years now vs the 2 sport cars I had for a total of 7 years. I would be bored with a sports car. Once you ride a motorcycle every car is boring.

Keep in mind, according to the experts interviewed in the movie Faster. Motroccycle racing is 80% rider 20% bike and car racing is 20% driver and 80% car. So if you get beat by someone on the motorcycle track he probably is the rider's skill not the bike. I think your choice of the SV650 is a great one. You have newbie friendly twin engine torque and a nice size. It can also be upgraded with a ton of after market gear. I started with a new supersport but I think you are doing the right thing.

Good luck have fun.. Take a MSF class
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:06 AM   #17
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: If you get

"I WISH to gosh I started with an SV as my first bike, I'd still have it. INstead, I'm really thinking strongly of getting an 07 ABS'ed SV next year."

Ditto for me. Having ABS in rainy Seattle would be a great safety feature
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:10 PM   #18
Cryptoman
Registered Member

I didn't say the SV650 was boring, just commenting on the fact that it's human nature to get bored with things. I got bored with my ZX-10R earlier this year and sold it.
Cryptoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:13 PM   #19
schizuki
Founding Member

Ah. Gotcha.

But damn, that's fickle.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:19 PM   #20
HDshane
Registered Member

Thanks for all the feedback! I love this site. Worth every penny and more. Just wished it looked better. And that maybe the category Icons matched the categories. =-)

I am still sold on the SV650, I will look for used first, it makes sense. Now the problem is that I do not know bikes too well. If this were a car, I would be set. I know cars very well, but bikes, well I hope they do not "see me coming". Other than spotting cosmetic flaws, I am at a loss. All I have is the MSF course and a passed DMV test. =-(

HDshane is offline   Reply With Quote