Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 09-28-2006, 01:43 AM   #11
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Re: Where to find MSRP vs Invoice?

It didn't start out as a looser. The bike business is so competitive that dealers are willing to make a small $300 or so margin because they know that the parts and servive departments will (eventually) make up the profit margin. Ask any Euro bike dealer (like ours). The service department drives the profit center for the company. Even HD dealers know this. That's why you don't see $3000 mark-ups on their bikes now. You can go into a dealer and know that outside of the finance terms that the bike itself is going to be a good deal. You guys control the price of bikes and dealers know this. That's why the other services at the bike shop are "the" profit center of the business.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2006, 02:11 AM   #12
Jonniedee
Founding Member

Any idea what the margin on a loaded $24,000 + Goldwing must be? Base models are below $17,000 and I'm pretty sure ABS, Nav and an airbag aren't costing Honda 7K+ to install...
Jonniedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:10 AM   #13
mnmmelanson
Founding Member

I have never seen anything with the invoice price listed. But I think that the price can be lowered a lot if the dealer wishes and the manufactuer is giving deals. My last two motorcycles were bought way below MSRP probably due to buying at the end of season and buying models that were not strong sellers. 01 Concours MSRP $8499, paid $6000 plus tax. 03 Z1000 MSRP $8499, paid $7200. I did use cycletrader to help out with what other companys were listing them for to help get the best deal. Good luck....
mnmmelanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:38 AM   #14
bboule
Founding Member

The published invoice prices on the internet for cars are BS... the dealer is still buying the car for less then the published invoice, and then there is holdback.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:49 PM   #15
don455
Registered Member

http://www.cyclebuy.com/

This will give you really good info before

purchasing a bike. But you still are going to have to buy when the market is slow.

Good luck.
don455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:54 PM   #16
Jiffy
Registered Member

It is easy to see that the dealers make more than $300 on bikes. Go look at cycletrader and compare invoice to what some of those dealers are willing to sell at. Big difference there. I also have heard cyclebuy.com is a good place to get invoices on bikes.
Jiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:08 AM   #17
novaman75
Registered Member

I fully back what acecycleins says about profit and markup. I sold Cadillacs for years...the profit is in used cars and service. There was no 35% markup in new cars. We could make maybe $6000 on a $65000 Escalade if we knocked their head off...but with the competition and online pricing that rarely happened unless we sold wheels and extras. That is nowhere near 35%.
novaman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #18
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool Worked in this industry since 1992

Iam sure it depends on which dealers your speaking of. I will admit that in any good dealer the service dept is the backbone of the whole store. Meaning if they arent quick to do the job once and correctly they will not turn a profit, obvisouly. But on the other hand I have never seen our shop sell a bike they didnt make at least some money on.

When this subject comes up its ignorant to even consider the Car dealers the margin is ALOT bigger than that of the motorcycle industry, by far. 10k versus even 32k who has more room to move.
My major problem is the people who want it for nothin and will post these threads up but excpect the dealer to be around once they need another new bike, parts or service.

I know our parts depts probably keeping the store going here. But hey at least Iam not working at micky d's yet,...LR!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:52 PM   #19
Joejj100
Registered Member

Default motorcycle service dvd

Has anyone seen the wrenching101 dvd? It looks cool. Its got a cute chick in it.
Joejj100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejj100 View Post
Has anyone seen the wrenching101 dvd? It looks cool. Its got a cute chick in it.
Yes and you don't need to spam the site with it either.