Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 09-19-2006, 06:07 AM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Windshield for the Super Moto?

Check out National Cycle's screens.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2006, 07:04 AM   #2
iamz
Founding Member

A windshield on a supermoto almost seems sacrilege. Don't they represent wild untamed hooliganism? Shame on you!
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
Mooner
Founding Member

Maybe you know this already, but the KTM Super Moto isn't really a true Super Moto. It's more like a Adventure-Moto if you know what I mean. You wouldn't want to take it on a Super Moto course and try to compete.
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:38 AM   #4
red916
Founding Member

My 625SMC seems to do well. By the way, what's a true Super Moto? I guess my 625SMC isn't, but is my DRZ400SM? What about my CRF450?
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
ValkBandit
Registered Member

i should've been more explicit. i was referring to the 950 cc twin that this fine pub recently road tested. the model designation is SuperMoto.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:52 PM   #6
Tadgh
Registered Member

crf 450 is a true supermoto in the sense that the first ones were dirtbikes with road wheels swapped onto them...like the crf or yam yzf or ktm sx.....even the old cr 500 gets a run ..not so much anymore though..

the road going versions are a kind of compromise ...as the first supermotos were competition only not road legal...

and nowadays if you buy one for the road you dont want a 8 litre petrol tank and a rock hard suspension and the sort of gearing the race bikes would have....or maybe you do

btw an italian firm called tm who make motocrossers have one of the slickest supermotos ever
Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:57 PM   #7
rapier
Founding Member

Back in the 70's I used to hang those big clear bar mount fairings on UJM's. They worked great against the wind but they really slowed down the handling. That was before I knew about handling really. I suppose maybe your talking about the fly sized ones and I've never heard mentioned in reviews that they present handling issues.

Some big cruisiers use big bar mounts but they they don't care about slow handling either.

So to the poster, how big are you thinking? To eveyone else, how much will a large bar mount fairing effect things?

rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:07 PM   #8
ValkBandit
Registered Member

i'm 6' 1", 220 lbs.

but i'm not looking for a barn door... just something to take the edge off an early morning commute. it'll be winter soon, see? and chilly in the bay area. i'm the kind of fella who rides his bike every day to work, and naked bikes are just a bit too brisk for me.

just a little bullet-type windshield or fairing. similar to the ulysses.

i'll actually probably end up buying the buell. my heart is in the KTM but my ass has to live with something more practical.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote