Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 09-11-2006, 07:30 AM   #1
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Gearshift Drum Repair Questions

Looks like 'split the cases' time, which is why it will be 1400 clams for the shop to fix it. You could get a repair manual and give it a go yourself, if you have decent mechanical skills. Or, it may just be time for your Nighthawk to join many of the other Nighthawks down at the local bone yard.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2006, 07:35 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

A Clymer manual will show you how to do any repair on the bike. Realize that a new shift drum will be very expensive. Even gasket sets for Japanese bikes are outrageously overpriced.

Check bikebandit.com for the parts blowup on the shiftdrum to see if there are subassemblies you can replace. You can also try to find a shift drum at a bike salvage yard.

Changing the shiftdrum requires pulling the engine and completely dismantling it. That will take a lot of hours if you've never done a motorcycle engine before. It'll take a lot of hours if you have done a motorcycle engine before. Since it's a Honda it may also require some special tools.... Honda loves that. The difficulties of rebuilds and the outrageous cost of parts explains why Japanese bikes are throwaways.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:52 AM   #3
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Jap bike boneyard. Never see an American bike boneyard, only swap meets.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:55 AM   #4
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Engineered that way so that you just go buy a new one until you get sick of that and go buy Harley. Jap bikes are made to be used once and thrown out with the trash.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:56 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

No Italian or Britbikes in the boneyard either. All Japanese all the time.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:18 AM   #6
Gritboy
Founding Member

Strangely all my Japanese bikes are affordable to repair, fairly easy to maintain, and there are plenty of salvage parts for most of 'em. That said, this is a pricey and time-consuming repair. You might just want to say Byehawk on this one if the rest of the bike's showing its age.

The Harley comments on a repair post are moot, and I can tell you I see a lot of non-working Harley's in driveways/garages/yards too. All bikes cost money -- more-so if you aren't a mechanic yourself -- but at least some bikes are so affordable at the start that even after years of purchasing, all the repairs needed add up to less that "some" bikes. *grin*
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:39 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Strangely all my Japanese bikes are affordable to repair"

Which ones would those be?
Old 09-11-2006, 09:26 AM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Cruise around town until you find another the same color. Switch license plates. Ride home.

Problem solved.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:26 AM   #9
valkyrie64ron
Founding Member

Luckily the nighthawk is a fairly easy engine to work with, I'd recommend getting a Honda service manual do to more specific proceedures on the job and torque specs and patterns. I don't know about your area but out here in So Cal most shops are not willing to give too much info. Liabilities I guess, but if you're a fairly competent mechanic and have some patients it should be a rather painless experience. The exploded veiws in the manual are great but I suggest taking lots of pictures while disassembling the motor and put the bolt and small parts in labled bags, it really helps if for some reason you have to set it aside to work on it later. Good Luck
Old 09-11-2006, 09:36 AM   #10
SmokeU
Registered Member

The only Jap bike I've had to repair was a clapped out '79 XS650S because it had been sitting outside for 10 years before I bought it. It was quite the fun project for a high school kid at the time.