Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   Gearshift Drum Repair Questions (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/3891-gearshift-drum-repair-questions.html)

Gritboy 09-11-2006 02:58 PM

Re: Gearshift Drum Repair Questions

Ahhh... a Magna. Yeah, the old Honda V4's have a bit of a rep if memory serves. I'm generally riding japanese sport twins, save for my former ZX-9R, and except for serious repairs after a major crash on my Honda -- flipped it end over end -- repairs have never exceeded $500-$600. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I can't speak for HDs, except that my relatives can never seem to keep 'em running and they're always dumping money into them. They've always made fun of my "jap" bikes, but I use my bikes for daily commuters, as well as canyon carving and distance touring, so reliability is key. I'm sticking with what works and gives me good bang for the buck and looks good doing it.

The_AirHawk 09-11-2006 04:43 PM

Of all the comments about junked Japanese bike parts, nobody seems to have suggested the most obvious:

But a new(er) engine/trans, and put it in the bike. Surely there is an available engine that runs well on some trashed frame, *SOMEPLACE*? Right?

If you spend $200-$400 on a good, running, shifting engine, and another <$225 to get it shipped to you - will it be any less than the expense of tearing-down the cases and replacing the shifter-drum (and any other parts you break along the way!), plus gaskets, plus your time? (is your time worth nothing?)

Just like with modern cars, especially some commuter crapbox POS like a Saturn - I wouldn't bother with trying to rebuild one - just find another low-mile engine, and swap it in. Preferrably with some kind of warranty (salvage yards will give up to 90 days, usually - although I don't know if you'll find it for motos).

mzbk2l 09-11-2006 08:54 PM

Hmmm... no modern technology involved with pumping 165 horsepower out of less than 1300 cubic centimeters? No modern technology involved with getting an engine to spin 14,000 rpm and still last for tens of thousands of miles? You sure don't see the 1920's technology twins doing much of that....

At any rate, a cruiser-style bike today is not much different than a cruiser-style bike 20 years ago. Why buy a new one when the old one does the same job?

In the world of sportbikes, however, the technology curve is more like the computer world; yeah, they may be cheaper to replace than repair these days, but who in their right mind would want a 20 year old model? These things actually ADVANCE at an astounding rate, unlike cruisers.

Go out and ride a 2006 sportbike; you can do things on that that would have got you dead in a hurry on a 1996 sportbike. There is no market for old sportbikes because they just won't keep up with today's bikes.

Since old cruisers are exactly the same as new cruisers, the market is still there for them. Seems pretty simple to me.....

Cozine 09-12-2006 08:01 AM

Re: Good article idea: Harley vs Metric Cruiser or Buell vs Ninja total cost of owner

The newer chain drive CB750 Nighthawks all have self adjusting hydraulic valve lifters.

Salt mine? You from Hutch?

anrajala 09-13-2006 04:31 AM

This is not too bad idea. Only thing is that in this case the problem is small. The biggest job is to remove/replace the engine. The rest is a breeze. You didn´t believe Seruzawa when he wrote that the engine has to be compeletely dismanteled? That´s not true.

- cruiz-euro

anrajala 09-13-2006 04:35 AM

Looking back to this thread, its amazing to what lenghts some are prepared to go to give bad advice. On a thread like this where somebody just want to get some guidance. I don´t want to give any names, but someone whose initials are Seruzawa writes that

> Realize that a new shift drum will be very expensive. Even gasket sets for Japanese bikes are outrageously overpriced.

Pure lies. Not very expensive and parts you can get from salvage yard for a song.

> Changing the shiftdrum requires pulling the engine and completely dismantling itÂ….(plus lots of drivel how this will take hours and hours)

Again, pre lies. Changing the shifdrum does not require dismantling the engine. After you have removed the engine you just flip it over and open the bolts on the bottom of the gearbox and voilá. The bottom lifts up like a cover. Then you can do any repairs to the gearbox side without even touching the engine.

- cruiz-euro

The_AirHawk 09-16-2006 07:41 AM

See, this is why people post questions like this. Having never worked on a Nighthawk, I did not know the case had a horizontally-split cover. This makes it far easier to service something like the offending part in question.