Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 09-01-2006, 05:13 AM   #1
Tadgh
Registered Member

Default Re: Overheating Electraglide

ride faster? ...
Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2006, 05:14 AM   #2
Fenton
Founding Member

Take it to another shop. Is everything stock on the bikes exhaust system? How's the temp gauge look when you notice the heat?

I ride my friends '04 and haven't noticed any heat issues.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:27 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Harley doesn't say it's normal. Your crappy dealer says it's normal.

Take it to another dealer and see what they can find. Document everything every step of the way. If you still don't get any results, go on H-D's website and get the number for customer service in Milwaukee and call and explain the problem.

I own an '03 Glide and do not have any kind of overheating problem.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:31 AM   #4
bigdx
Founding Member

I would say that is normal. Both my Dyna and Streetrod put out a lot of heat which becomes a bother when riding in traffic or waiting at the light. Doesn't bother me much as I never ride in traffic or around town.

If you do ride in shorts I would recommend you put on jeans - it will help with the heat and better than bare legs if you take a tumble.
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:04 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

That heat may not be coming from the pipe. The heads give off lots of heat when sitting in traffic on a hot day, as I found out in Las Vegas last year. For the crossover to get hot enough to roast your thighs in the position that it's in, it would have to be glowing red. If your plugs look normal, then I bet it's the heat from the cylinder heads you are feeling.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:26 AM   #6
fugusaurus
Founding Member

Default Re: Overheating Girlfriend

get a new girlfriend.

harley girls are supposed to be tough. what is she, a dentist or something?
fugusaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:27 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I was thinking he could be running really lean and that could really generate some heat.

The EFI bikes have a safety mechanism and will shut down if they get too hot.

So riding in Las Vegas in the summer is hot, eh?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:59 AM   #8
bmayes
Registered Member

You did not state where you ride but I live on the Texas gulf coast and during the summer I am baked! My 06 Road Glide generates more heat to the rider than any motorcycle I have ever owned. I am riding in 90 degree + weather, and in full sun most of the time but I have also been riding in Texas for over 30 years and have never experienced a heat issue of this magnitude. Unfortunately it was in early spring when I rented the bike for a weekend "road test" and the issue was not apparent in cooler weather.

All I can say is dress properly. I used to wear mess pants because they were cooler and still provided me with some protection. Now I wear jeans and I also have switched to full height boots to better protect my legs.

All of you folks who live in cooler environments my not experience the issue but here in Texas it is starting to be talked about.

bmayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:15 AM   #9
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: TWO WORDS: AIR COOLED

Unlike the heat on a liquid-cooled engine, which is routed to a radiator away from the rider, all of the heat from an air-cooled motor radiates directly from the engine toward whatever parts of the rider are nearby. This can become quite uncomfortable and even hazardous when the bike is stopped or run in low-speed traffic for extended periods of time. It's just the nature of the beast.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:18 AM   #10
Tigercub
Founding Member

I'm going to guess that it is normal. But, I'll take it back if;

1) The sparkplugs are white - they may be very light in color which would be normal because these bikes are leaned out to within an inch of their life.

2) The engine knocks or pings - fuel injected Harleys should never knock - right?

3) The engine backfires.

If the bike pulls good off idle and runs strong at freeway speeds it's probably running OK.

As far as heat goes - I've noticed excessive engine heat on hot days when the wind blows through the motor and right on my thigh, which is exactly where I notice the heat the most.

One more check of a hot running engine. immediately after a ride touch the rocker box cover - that's the top most part of the engine. It shouldn't burn your finger. It will be hot, but not so hot that you get burned right away. I've found that Harleys actually run pretty cool.

The most frustrating thing is taking a bike to a dealer for a problem that doesn't actually exist. So hopefully, there is something wrong. That didn't quite come out right, but you know what I mean.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote