Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 08-30-2006, 10:50 PM   #1
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: Buell Reliability Question

SV 650 or Ducati Monster. Am I supposed to say "First Post"?
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2006, 12:22 AM   #2
fl34
Founding Member

I also had a mid bike crisis and bought a sv1000s. New crisis: too many bikes not enough time to ride. It never ends....
fl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:17 AM   #3
brax4444
Registered Member

I have a 2004 XB-12S. I have put 13,000 miles on it and am not easy on it. The bike is a blast; the motor seems to be as bulletproof as anything I'd ever hope for. (I grew up on a Honda...) I rode the back to Key West in summer 2005 and was stuck in heavy traffic around Miami in extreme heat. I'm convinced the overheating/reliability problems the past Buells certainly had were completely worked out with the introduction of the XB series. It would seem to me that your chances of getting a "lemon" would be about the same as several other respectable brands so I see no reason to shy away from Buell as a potential playbike; it will be a good decision. For a "sportbike" they are extrememly comfortable - I managed an 1100 mile day on mine.

Congratulations on the R1200RT also! It's a fantastic machine.
brax4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:19 AM   #4
brax4444
Registered Member

Also, maintenance is easier and less work than anything I've ever owned car or motorcycle. That belt is wonderful.
brax4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:28 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

No Harley is a reliable as a Japanese unit? Did you ever own a 1997 TL1000? I did. It bucked like a bronco from horrible fuel delivery(needed Power Commander), had two recalls on leaking gas tanks (mine leaked both times), the clutch slipped from day one, and I was told I could put in heavy duty springs to cure that (at my cost of course), and the frame cracked under normal use. All this happened in under 10,000 miles. Oh yeah, It was voted Bike of the Year by some magazine. It's funny how many horribly unreliable motorcycles the Japanese have put out over the years, and people just act like they don't exist.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:25 AM   #6
HornetRider
Founding Member

I currently am the proud owner of the Ulysses - xb12x - and love my ride. I only have 5 k on her, but man it's a lot of fun. I have some issues with her, but when the twisties come up I forget all about them. Anyways I've had 7-8 of Japans products to ride and this has been by far the funest - well except for my 76 Honda 400 four.
HornetRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:30 AM   #7
maladg
Registered Member

wilro, you are reading my mind. Time for the ST11 and the R100RT to move on. And my replacement choices - lets just say "great minds think alike" - as I keep telling myself.

I tend to log the miles moderately fast - say roughly 15K/yr. Anybody know how XB class Buell's are holding up at 50K miles and beyond?

maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:30 AM   #8
priday
Founding Member

Default About like an Anvil.....(but lighter!!)

The reliability issues went away with the XB series. I've got a Lightning 1200, and have been Flogging it mercilessly since the 500 mile break in was past. For around town, look at the Lightning, not the Firebolt, and if you are really tall or need to haul a passenger, look at the SS.

You WILL NOT regret it.

Rob

Horsepower is an illusory mathmatical equation; Torque is Real, and is the source of all good things in the world.
priday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:55 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Speed Triple!
Old 08-31-2006, 04:23 AM   #10
ducatirdr
Founding Member

Default XB12R salvage

I picked up a XB12R from a local salvage yard as it was totalled due to a ding in the frame/tank. A set of Buell frame pucks later and you wouldn't know it was in a tip over. Picked it up cheap and I'm having a hoot riding it. The race kit consisting of Buell free flow air cleaner, muffler and ECU were already on the bike.

What's it like to own it? Well two track days and about 5k onto the 3 it had later and all I did was the 5k service interval. With no vlave clearance to worry about (ie Ducati) the maint is very cheap and easy to do yourself. So far no issues other than the front tire has a hard time staying on the pavement.

I love the character of this bike. A freak of a design with the H-D Sportster motor shaking and making noise like it was some hot rod. The gearing makes for really good 0-100 runs but after that is starts to wane. That's perfect for street riding and my local NHIS track layout.

I never want to get rid of this bike. I find it terrible for two up riding so having the BMW for relaxing is perfect. Matter of fact me and the misses and I recently took out a BMW R1200RT on a test ride. That's a good partner to the Buell.
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote