Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 08-31-2006, 05:25 AM   #11
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Buell Reliability Question

If you don't let surly ham fisted 8 step program/rehab types work on 'em they're just as reliable as anything Japanese out there.

Watch that oil level (since they only hold 2.5 qts.)

My XB9SX is swell. It's a keeper.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2006, 07:01 AM   #12
electraglider_1997
Founding Member

Hate to agree with you but I do. Read the book by Ray E and Cindelyn G Eberts called "The Myths of Japanese Quality". Ray was a professor of mine at Purdue U. Ray and his family lived in Japan for a year or so and has quite the story to tell. He claims that Americans have so bought into the Myth of Jap Quality that they won't even own up to problems with their Jap cars when asked about them. He also writes about the poor treatment of non-Japanese in Japan. Pretty enlightening. Anyways, it looks like the motorcycle print magazines have bought into the voodoo myth of Japanese quality infallibility. I own a Buell Ulysses and it isn't perfect but it is still way better than any Jap bike I've ever owned, hands down. They really stand behind their bikes also when it comes to correcting problems. I have yet to own a Jap bike that doesn't have problems and lots of them and yet I always read these questions from folks worrying about Buell quality. Quit worrying and start having a great time on a Buell.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:12 AM   #13
orcyclist
Founding Member

And why not? I seem to remember a relatvely unreliable Honda in my distant past. Honda led the way and other Japanese makers followed suit to be competetive. So whay can't Buell do the same? Maybe THEY can't .

The Japanese makers worked on reliability diligently and now they are appliance-like in their reliability. Get on start it up, flog the heck out of it, stop ; repeat for years. Don't hand me that BS about Buell's being "unique"; they are just modified tractors. The engine is an ancient design. Sort of like NASCAR saying that they have racing engines - yeah, right! I have an '80's Yamaha that has a more modern engine design that the 2006 Buells.

Yes, I have ridden a Buell. Different for dirfferent's sake is not alwyas better, sometimes just different. It just shows how lame the Buell engine is; it needs 1200 cc to keep up with 600 cc Japanese bikes in Formula extreme (did I just say "Keep up with?" Sorry for that inaccuracy.)

I have a German bike and a Yamaha and they are easy to work on, fun to ride and reliable.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:01 AM   #14
DaveFla
Founding Member

Couple of points:

Your 80's Yamaha is NOT more 'modern' than just about *any* 2006. Emission controls ensure that. The 2003 Buells meet 2008 CARB standards; I doubt your Yamaha would.

Further, there is nothing 'antique' about pushrod engines such as the Buell's, just different characteristics than you may prefer. Modern inline four development dates back to at least the 1920's and Harry Miller.

At least the Buell offers hydraulic lifters - valve adjustment is not what I think of when I consider modern, appliance-like designs.

My Firebolt has been a boatload of fun for 5,000 miles, with no trouble more serious than a fouled plug. It's been cheaper per mile than my vintage GoldWing, in fact. The only knock against it that I can come up with is that it isn't a 2007 Ulysses.

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:41 AM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Explain why NASCAR engines aren't racing engines? I guess a 650 hp V8 is not racy enough for you?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:48 AM   #16
DC_Dave
Founding Member

I just sold a '76 CB400F in parakeet yellow, 14,000 miles.

Although I loved the bike, I couldn't bring myself to ride it hard enough to "have fun." I'm sure it was a good bike in its day, but that day is long gone.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:34 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

There are a lot of 1800 Gold Wing owners who would dispute the "appliance like" reliability of modern Japanese motorcycles. Dang those pesky breaking frames.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:52 AM   #18
ValkBandit
Founding Member

"I have some issues with her ..."

care to expand? i'm seriously thinking about a buell and would love to know the bad as well as the good.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:56 AM   #19
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: XB12R salvage

Amen.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:15 PM   #20
lcarlson
Founding Member

Buell continues to suffer for reliability concerns that were mostly fixed by Y2K. I've got a 2000 M2 (tube fame -- still the most elegant design) that has suffered only from a rockerbox leak that was permanently corrected by installation of the newer metal gaskets. Otherwise, no problems. Oh, and its a blast (small b) to ride --
lcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote