Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 08-22-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Re: Repair Manual Questions.

Order the proper paper factory manual directly from Suzuki. Those "repair manuals on CDs" are random pirate scans, and who knows if they are actually complete.

It will SUCK, but it will at least comprehensively suck.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2006, 10:43 AM   #2
everiman
Registered Member

Haynes has one, I can't speak for this manual, but the ones I have for various bikes and cars are excellent

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...category=10004
everiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
pudlepirate
Registered Member

the two factory shop manuals I own, 88 vmax and 04 speed triple, have been great. the triumph has a color wiring diagram! The real deal shop manual will always be beter than the haynes or chilton, (I have one for my civic, it covers about 15 diferent cars and while it is serviceable you really need to pay attention and read the directions several times.) illustrations are clearer directions are more concise and it is even printed on high quality paper.
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
mikenomad
Founding Member

Do you have a computer on your workbench? Do you want to expose your laptop to greasy fingerprints and exhaust/petroleum fumes?

If the answer to either or both questions is no, buy a hard-copy manual.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
orcyclist
Founding Member

Don't you have a dedicated workshop laptop? If not, pick up a cheap one on eBay. Or, if you have a phobia about fingerprints, etc. put it in a drycleaning bag and voila - no mess.

I bought the BMW 1100RS manual on CD and have found it to be very adequate. Even if I don't end up doing the work myself, I get an idea of how complicated it is and therefore how much it should cost. I use the online fiche for parts costs to figure out that end of the equation. Seems to help my decision about the work. (That being said, I have had the bike for 3 years and have only had 2 items done by the dealer - throttle cable and altenator replacement, both of which I chose to have them do becasue I was just too lazy or too busy.)
Old 08-22-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
Gluge
Registered Member

The factory manual for my RS125 seems great!
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:58 PM   #7
HighsideHarry
Founding Member

I bought a factory manual for every car or bike I've ever owned, and always thought it was the best investment I could make. True, the Chilton's, etc. manuals are fine for finding out where the spark plugs are located, but when it comes down to really getting into your vehicle, then the factory manuals can't be beat.

Another problem with the Chiltons/Haynes manuals is that they try to save money by combining several years and models in the same book. Great to a point, but when you need real data, they're just frustratingly useless. For example, my new R1 came delivered to me with a loose steering nut. Looked in the Yamaha manual and found the correct torque to be 80 lbs. ft. Try finding that in your Chilton's!
HighsideHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:01 PM   #8
zxr250cc
Founding Member

I have been working on bikes since the late 60's and always found the factory manual to be superior to the Chilton or Haynes equivalent. You spent what for the bike? You are trying to save a few bucks for less accurate info? Buy the real thing... Just an opinion...
zxr250cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:13 PM   #9
BlueDuck
Registered Member

I found a VStrom factory manual posted to a Strom forum for nothing. It appears to be complete, but I'd recommend printing out a copy to stuff into a binder for your workshop and keep the electronic version to reprint badly soiled pages (like the ones for throttle body balancing). Also bought a Ducati factory manual on a CD for $10 and got loads of extras. Scan for viruses. Happy wrenching.
BlueDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:55 PM   #10
MOGIXXER
Registered Member

I was able to find an online factory manual for my SV1000 online for free. A freind of mine bought one of those ebay cd manuals for his R1. Both as far as I can tell are complete factory manuals. I printed mine out and stuck it in a 3 ring binder.
MOGIXXER is offline   Reply With Quote