Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 08-17-2006, 04:43 AM   #11
03zx12r
Registered Member

Default Re: Plugs Repairs for Motorcycle Tires.

I used a plug kit while on the road once. We went on a vacation ride where I picked something up in the rear that left me stuck. I went with a buddy to a local autoparts store and purchased a simple plug kit(it was all they had). This got us back on the road and well on our way back. The rest of the guys got a nack to go fast and I leared that too much centrifugal force (close to 100mph) causes these plugs to go leave the tire at a rapid rate of speed and the damn plug took the air with it. The nerve of some... So if you do fix it - go with caution. If you are still at home - replace the tire.
03zx12r is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2006, 04:44 AM   #12
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"O.K., I already know it's a bad idea..."

I think you already answered your own question right from the git-go.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:18 AM   #13
testcase
Founding Member

Plugged a rear tire center punched with a nail with a kit from the local Pep Boys. The sticky strip kind you push in from the outside. Went several hundred more commuting miles on it before I got around to changing the tire. And that was more from the whole tire being worn down than from the plug itself.

--------------------------------------------------
The Wheelnerds Podcast - http://www.wheelnerds.com
testcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:20 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

I've used those plugging strips several times to repair a simple nail punture and never had a plug let go. Of course the manufacturer is going to tell you that repairing a tire is dangerous.... duh! What the heck else is the guy who sells you tires going to say?

I suspect that the supposed danger of using a plug is a rumor started by tire manufacturers and sellers. You know, the same sort of rumor like the one that says you have to have the same model tire on the front and the rear. Or the old rumor that you shouldn't use the front brake because it will make you flip over the handlebars. Or the one about how important it is to lay the bike down. Or the "Loud pipes save lives" one. Or using a seat belt will result in you getting trapped in a burning car. Or that the more you spend on a helmet the safer your head is.... urban legends.

In over 40 years or riding I have never seen a plug fail in a tubeless tire... in either a bike or a car. I have never heard anyone report a direct experience with such.

I'll bet that the chances of simply hitting the odd road hazard and blowing a tire outright is much greater than the chances of a properly done plug letting go.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:27 AM   #15
zxr250cc
Founding Member

I have used the soft type of plug which has a tar rubber sort of consistency with a string inside it on car tires and on motorcycle tires. They have worked perfectly. They come with a tool to rough up the puncture hole in the tire (use gently/sparingly to avoid damage to the cords in the tire) and a tool to insert the plug. Cut the plug off flush with the tire surface and reinflate. Ride and enjoy. Your mileage may vary but they have worked well for me. Use at your own risk, naturally.
zxr250cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:40 AM   #16
priday
Founding Member

Default Thanks to all!~

I figured this would bring some opinions out of the woodwork........

All I do (all I HAVE to do....) is commute. No freeway stuff. I'm going to punch a plug in er and see what happens.

I appreciate all the posts, and I'll update if there is a fireball or if the earth splits and swallows the bike......

Wish me luck!

Rob

Horsepower is an illusory mathmatical equation; Torque is Real, and is the source of all good things in the world.
priday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:18 AM   #17
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

I have a friend whose nighthawk 750 blew two tires (front, then back) in three weeks riding on I5.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:23 AM   #18
SuperBill
Founding Member

Add me to the list of "plug-and-go" boys. Had a flat last June on my SuperHawk on my new (<1000 miles) Pilot Power rear. Punctured about 1.5 inches off center. I was 200 miles away from home on a Sunday. Used the K-mart variety plug (twisted sticky string) and was wigged out for the next 20 miles. Stopped and checked the inflation and everything was OK. Hit the highway for about 30 more miles at 80 mph, stopped, checked pressure, still OK. Finished the rest of the trip home, let the bike sit until the next weekend, pressure still OK. Sunday rides since then OK. Two weekends ago did 800 miles on a mix of tight twisties and fast sweepers in the Catskills & Adirondacks. No problem (max indicated speed on my calibrated Sigma computer 108 mph).

IÂ’ve got a track day coming up next month, so IÂ’ll replace the tire before that, but I canÂ’t complain about the plug thatÂ’s in there now.

HereÂ’s something else to think about. Modern, low-aspect ratio, tubeless work darn well when flat. I read an article in a print magazine (Sport Rider, I think) that compared a Kawasaki 650R to a Suzuki SV650. They hated the handling of the 650R until they figured out that they had been riding at high speeds in tight turns with a flat rear tire! Knowing that, when I had my flat I rode (slowly) on the deflated rear tire to the nearest gas station without ever bottoming out the rim on the tire.

It’s a whole new world of motorcycle tires – let’s enjoy it while we can!

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:04 PM   #19
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Thanks to all!~

"Luck.................."

(but, if you die horribly in an enormous ball of flame and random, senseless destruction - don't come cryin' to us!)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:16 PM   #20
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Heh, sounds like a story the owner of a local Moto shop related to me once - As he left the shop one night, he was passed by a 'Vette in a "less than respectful manner", so he decided to school him a bit.

Somewhere around a buck-twenny, he felt he'd proven his point sufficiently well, so he eased-off the gas. Imagine his surprise when the bike got a bit frisky on him as it nosed-down.

So, he turned around and went back to the shop to check it. Found not one - but TWO roofing nails in the rear tire, with the heads mostly worn-down (been in there a day or two, I'd say!). Not enough pressure in the tire to get a reading with his "pencil" gauge. He plugged it, rode 'til it wore out.

Rather impressive, I'd say - that one can take off and wail on a flat tire and not crash, but the bike DEFINITELY let him know about it (unlikely he would have ridden so, had he known of the nails).
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote