Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 08-12-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Pilot Power Impressions?

I've run Pilot Roads on a few different bikes and come away impressed. I think Michelin is putting out about the best street tires available for sport touring or fast street riding. Good grip in the wet and decent milage, I'd use them on my bonnie if they made an appropriate size.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2006, 10:57 AM   #2
brax4444
Registered Member

Michelin Pilot Power or Road your choice. Depends on the bike/riding style. Pirelli Scorpions are nice also.

I do not recommend Dunlop if you can buy either of the above instead.
brax4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:35 AM   #3
SuperBill
Founding Member

I just put a set of Pilot Powers on my SuperHawk about 2000 miles ago. Love 'em! Best handling tires so far (on the street, anyway - haven't done a track day with them yet). Better handling and grip than previous Michelin Pilot Sports or Pilot Roads (Much better than OEM Dunlops). Interestingly, the Pilot Powers are as good in heavy rain as the Pilot Roads, though by looking at them you'd swear the Powers are a hydroplane waiting to happen!

The Pilot Powers have a much faster summer warm-up than the Pilot Sports - can't speak for winter yet, but I swear that if the temperature was consistently below 40F the Pilot Sports wouldn't warm up no matter how fast or long you rode! Pilot Roads were much better in that regard, and I have high hopes for the Pilot Powers.

The Powers seem to be wearing well too - wouldn't be surprised to get about the same mileage as I did with the Pilot Roads (4000 - 5000 miles + two track days and no burnouts). They squared off a bit on a recent 500 mile trip that involved some not-so-tight two-lane roads, but rounded out again after some hard work on the tight stuff.

To sum up: Good price (buy a front/rear set from Competition Accessories for $235), stick like glue, wear like iron, good in the rain, look cool! Any doubt that we're living in the Golden Age of Motorcycling?

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
Marcos_Peguero_1
Founding Member

I sell tires here in Dominican Republic, and the best tires are Michelins, I have tried almost all tires and get feedback from customers.

Michelins powers and road are the best tire on the market, good grip and wear.

014 are good also but dont last that long as power.

Dunlop 208, are so bad that I dont sell them anymore.

Power is the best tire at this moment with the 014.

Marcos_Peguero_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:54 PM   #5
cls
Registered Member

Haven't had a chance to try the Powers yet, but I ran the older Pilot Sports on everything I could. Great tires. The best street tires going, as far as I'm concerned. I"ll have 'em on the new bikes, as soon as I need replacements.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:47 PM   #6
jbilodeau
Founding Member

Forget the 208's the qualifiers are the best tires Dunlop makes. A little better on the track than the powers, for the street it is a toss up.
jbilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:24 PM   #7
minglet
Registered Member

I ride Pilot Powers on several bikes(Busa, GSXR1000 and Honda CBR600) and have replaced all of the OE tires with them. Riding all bikes on both street and track, the tires have excellent grip and wear plus they look the part. Best overall tire in my experience.
minglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:43 PM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

What are you doing with the tires there? Tie a rope through it and hang it from a tree so tourists can swing into the lagoon?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:56 PM   #9
pudlepirate
Registered Member

pilot powers have far outlasted my oem batleaxes (6k and the carcas was about to show on my speed triple, just started shoping for new ones after 9000 miles. Wear bars are about a 32nd from the tread surface on the rear, the front still has 3/16 in anyhoo. not that the front really touches that often... grip is great hot, cold, dry and wet. I have lost traction on some painted lines cornering hard a few times, but the tire grabs again progresively enough so there is no real scare. I will definitely be buying another set.
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 04:31 PM   #10
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Nobody's got any love for Metzlers? M-1? M-3?
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote