Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 08-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #11
RD350B
Registered Member

Default Re: Pilot Power Impressions?

I put the Michelin Pilot Powers on my Suzuki RGV 250 last year and they have been excellent tires so far. The Pilots not only grip quite well, they're comfortable over many kinds of road surfaces. I bought them because of rave reviews from fellow riders, and the set of Michelin Pilots I put on my car.
RD350B is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2006, 05:44 PM   #12
davidhaner
Founding Member

I've got pilot powers on my sv650s. They're just plain great. They're awesome in the rain, although as a previous poster said they don't look the part at all.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:32 PM   #13
sconley
Founding Member

...I've been riding for 16 years and have done thousands of miles of track day riding with race compound tires, but it wasn't until this spring that I put on Pilot Powers... About 300 miles into them I unintentionally scuffed my knee on a public road (actually, it was the outside of my shin)... I love the Pilot Powers, they give a lot of confidence and when they do start to let go it isn't catastrophic. I just wish they would import the dual compound tires into the states...
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #14
jibosch
Registered Member

I am going to differ from most of you, respectfully, but on my 2001 Buell M2 Cyclone, with 25,000 miles of urban riding that I have on it, while they do work much better than the Dunlop 208's, they also have a very harsh ride, so much so, that I have checked the tire presure with two different electronic gauges, to see if I was overinflated. I run 32 at the front and 36 at the rear. The cyclone weighs about 500lbs., and I weigh about 230lbs. After these Powers wear out, I have about 1000 miles on them, which I am hoping will be soon, I am going back to the Pirelli Diablo on the rear and the Pirelli Diablo Corsa 3 on the front, or perhaps the new Metzeler M-3's. [The Buell's 170 section rear was not available in the Corsa range, during my last purchase]. The Pirelli's grip just as good as the Pilot Powers, in my opinion, perhaps the Corsas grip even better, but the ride is not so bone jarring, and they are much more confidence inspiring on curves and when braking, to me. I have no doubt that the Michelin's are a great tire, but it is not working on my rig!
jibosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:34 AM   #15
Cathar
Founding Member

I tried the Metzeler M1's a while back. I didn't realise but they come in an OEM and Generic compound. The first set I put on were the OEM compound (for some Honda I think), and they were great. Very sticky, went great at a track day. Beautiful, controllable power-drifting on the rear.

Got a nail through the rear, and put another M1 on it, and it was horrible. Slid about like crazy, would spin up out of corners with almost no provocation, and developed a weird ripple wear pattern on the edge of the tyre. In short, it was downright dangerous.

That's when I dug a little deeper and found a few people who had similar experiences, and found out about the different OEM and Generic compounds, even though the tyres were all still called M-1's.

The experience put me off the M-1's and I never tried them since. I do want to try the M-3's though, but they're only just starting to become available here.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:27 AM   #16
BruceF
Registered Member

I've got a roadtec Z6 on the rear and a sporttec M3 on the front[ I know , don't mix] , I've got a Blackbird[no steering dampner], and the M3 really improved the front end handling, the problem is that I only got 3200 miles of the rear[and not much more from the frt Z6], I'd go with the Pilot if I could get better mileage and the same stick
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:40 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

Speaking of tyres, I've gotten nearly 12K out those AV77s you talked me into and there's still some tread left. That's 3K more than the D205s I was using. Plus, there's no cupping and they stick pretty darn well for sportouring tyres, even in the rain.

So long Dunlop.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:46 AM   #18
sarnali
Founding Member

Always glad to hep' a brutha' out.......
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:19 PM   #19
Rude374
Registered Member

Guys just be careful with those Powers at the track. They seem fine for recreational track riders but when you try to push them to race pace they will let go. I know a few guys who have high-sided trying to keep up with us WERA guys on race take offs.

Just my $0.02

Rude
Rude374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:54 AM   #20
ewok1
Founding Member

thanks for saying that. i had the same response to some of the posts up above when people talked about using them for track days. there really is no perfect all around tire. the michelin street tires and the dunlop qualifier will get real greasy after about 5 laps.

consider just having a set of 209 gp or other dot race tire for track days.

ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote