Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 08-07-2006, 07:30 AM   #1
mgullickson
Registered Member

Default Re: Safety Equipment Help.

Get a Z1R ZRP-1 Strike Blade Helmet for $80 (on-line). Motorcyclist Magazine did one of the few truly scientific (and logical) studies I've seen - a real eye opener. It's a shame true scientific method isn't applied to all protective gear reviews.

If you go to www.motorcyclistonline and click on the "gearbox" section, you can read it. Good luck and safe riding!
mgullickson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2006, 08:12 AM   #2
orcyclist
Founding Member

I heartily agree about the Motorcyclist helmet review.

Be sure to get some boots, too, the ones that protect your ankles.

Held gloves, Coretec riding gear, SIDI boots are all good. Joe Rocket is considered lower line, but it is way beter than no gear. Consider leather - it is more expensive, but much more abrasion resistant.

Remember: All the Gear, All the Time.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:20 AM   #3
ksquid
Banned

Buy the Arai... Make sure to wear it around for 30 min or so before you buy it though... A helmet is one of those things that I buy the most comfortable lid I can afford.. The Rocket stuff is good... if it fits and is comfortable don't worry about getting an Aerostich
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:34 AM   #4
stlarson
Registered Member

Having lived with my fair share of really bad, ill-fitting snowmobile helmets, it's one thing I've learned to not cut corners with. You have to wear this thing constantly and if there is some fit issue which you find irritating within the first couple minutes of having it on, imagine how obnoxious it will be after 30-60 minutes of additional friction.

Also, I have the Phoenix 4.0 jacket and love it thus far. On cooler days, but not so cold as to justify the liner, you'll want a longsleeve shirt on underneath. So far however I've used it in temperatures between 65F and 100F and been about as comfortable as a person could hope for.
stlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:40 AM   #5
gojirasf
Founding Member

Before going out and buying an $80 "wonder lid," make sure to check out a review of the Z1R ... sounds like it is really, really uncomfortable and flimsy. http://www.webbikeworld.com/z1r-helmets/z1r-zrp-1.htm

Personally, I am a huge fan of Shoei lids, so I would recommend checking some of them out too. I have the bottom of the line TZ-1, but they all seems to be really comfortable to me.
gojirasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:58 AM   #6
ksquid
Banned

Default Joe Rocket stuff

Some folks call Rocket stuff low end. I disagree with that.. I would say Rocket has a broad product line... TheBallistic 6.0 jacket is mid range for their non leather jackets...You can buy much cheaper or much costlier Joe Rocket Jackets The Ballistic 6.0 jacket gets great reviews from the friends I have that wear it..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:08 AM   #7
skeepee
Registered Member

If you want the utlimate in protection against apparel salesman, the Arai wins hands-down.

An Arai is a very well-made helmet with good customer support. Many find Arai to be the most comfortable helmets out there - but that's subjective. From a protection standpoint they can't be said to be better than any other helmet with the same ratings.

I find Arai's shield system maddening. A pit crew can change them out in 5 seconds but I have to watch the flippin' video on their website each time I remove my faceshield.

Is an Arai worth twice the price of the HJC? That begs more questions. Do YOU like how it fits and feels? Will you really like motorcycling and still be riding a year from now? Will you be happy with the same helmet for 4-5 years or will you want to replace it more frequently?

You don't need to buy top-shelf stuff to get good protective gear. If price is not a concern then go nuts. Otherwise I suggest getting good value stuff - like the items you found - and wear it.

Once the gear's covered, invest invest in rider training. Take the MSF course, and attend some track days that cater to newer riders and teaching fundamentals.

Have fun and be safe.

skeepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:28 AM   #8
Casey_Daniel
Founding Member

I'd say if you plan on riding more than 10k a year then the comfort of the arai is probably worth it. I've had both, wrecked with the HJC and it worked great. Yes, I want an arai but I don't really notice the difference enough to go out and spend money on the arai right now. go in try what you want on and if the dealer has too much of a mark up order it online. I know I'm sure I'll get a whole line of bs about supporting my local dealer. I do but not if it's a rip off.
Casey_Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:36 AM   #9
Tigercub
Founding Member

Buy the helmet that fits best. Same with all the other motorcycle gear.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:18 AM   #10
gr8shandini
Registered Member

I've had both Shoeis and Arais and I have to say that the Arai is a much better lid except for when it comes time to swap out shields. Eventually you can do it fairly quick, but you still end up getting fingerprints all over it so you have to clean it again when you're done.

However, you don't have to buy top of the line to get safety (nothing wrong with Joe Rocket in my opinion). In the HJC price range you might want to check out Scorpion helmets. They're pretty impressive lids for the money. The lexan face shield alone (which won't fog no matter what) would be worth the $160 they charge for the whole setup.
gr8shandini is offline   Reply With Quote