Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 08-07-2006, 03:39 PM   #21
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: If it worked for Gerry Ford...

Oh fer real...when I ride my Bonnie I wear an army jacket, flares and zip up disco boots, I had to grow a pervo mustache too and an old gold metal flake Bell
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #22
eojmo
Founding Member

Default Re: Safety Equipment Help.

I was just watching one of the American Chopper DVD's.Check out their safety riding gear.I realy liked the white singlet and crome german helmet with spike on top.Cool stuff.
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:59 PM   #23
SuperBill
Founding Member

Several years ago I bought an Arai Quantum and have deemed it the best helmet I've ever owned, simply because it was the only helmet I've ever owned that fit me right. For 30 years of riding I just assumed that I was supposed to get a big, red, burning dot on my forehead (the "Shoei Dot"). The Arai is so comfortable I leave it on during gas stops - in the past I couldn't wait to get out of my Shoeis or my pre-historic Bell Star.

Well, the Arai was getting kinda' old and the track organization I use wouldn't let me use it anymore, so I decided to get the cheapest helmet I could just for track days. I went to my local dealer and tried a Scorpion. Like a previous post said, it's good to wear it in the shop for at least a half an hour, and my dealer even lets me take them for a test ride. Anyway, the Scorpion was snug in a large (my Quantum is an XL), but snug is better for track use anyway. Walked out of the shop with a brand new silver (no graphics) Scorpion DOT/Snell helmet for about $130.

I started to love this helmet about halfway through the first track day. Still snug, but not uncomfortable and no pressure points. It was so comfortable and quiet that I fitted a pair of light & cheap speakers (for my microwave radiation detector) and used it on a three-day road trip with my buds. Awesome. Now I wish I'd spent the extra $50 and gotten one with some cool graphics. If your head fits a Scorpion, it's a lot of helmet for not much money.

Even though it's quiet, I still wear earplugs. Mine are custom molded, and work only slightly better than the "roll-'em-up-and-stick-'em-in" plugs that you can get for less than a buck at Home Depot. Try 'em out - you'll be amazed at how much more comfortable you are on the road.

As for the Joe Rocket gear, I have one piece (their original Phoenix Jacket) and like it a lot. I have a riding buddy that has a nice JR all-weather synthetic jacket that cost about half what I paid for my First Gear jacket, and his looks as good and seems to work as well. And besides, if JR is good enough for the Michael Jordan racing team, it should be good enough for us mere mortals.

Now with all the money you've saved by buying Scorpion instead of Arai and JR instead of Aerostitch, you can get several pairs of arm chaps (http://www.armchaps.com/) and REALLY impress your friends!

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:56 PM   #24
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Z1R

Appears to me this post is the best bit of advice you can get, given the situation. I, too have a Z1R. For the price/performance ratio, they can't be beat. I also have an Icon Mainframe Scorpion (my first "squidly" helmet!).

I think the jury's still out on whether the Z1R is the best helmet in the world, though. It's nice enough to consider it, but I wouldn't say I *HAVE* to have one. I bought mine because it fit well, and was a good value (a full two years before the Motorcyclist article)

If your equipment doesn't fit, or is too heavy, or just plain annoys you because you don't like the colour, - you won't wear it.

Buy what FITS *YOU*, - *then* what appeals to your sense of taste.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:03 PM   #25
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Oh, yeah. Can't go wrong with Faux Nazi-wear.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:54 PM   #26
pdad13
Founding Member

I want to know why you have an American Chopper DVD.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:00 PM   #27
pdad13
Founding Member

Yes, but do you get the Joe Rocket Armchaps or the Alpinestars armchaps?

Better consult Buz on this.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:22 PM   #28
stlarson
Registered Member

I can second that Nolan recommendation. I've got the modular N-102 and it works great. The release mechanism for the face and chinstrap are excellent features, and the helmet itself fits my strange head which can't be said of other brands I tried. At roughly $300 it seems to be a tough helmet to beat.
stlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:31 AM   #29
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Default Buy the helmet that fits your head

Anything DOT or Snell approved is safe and some brands do have more features than others. But bottom line is -- everybody's melon is different -- pick the brand that fits you best. Lots of jackets to choose from too, lots of discount dealers on the internet.

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:31 AM   #30
SRMark
Founding Member

Any helmet should fit you snug at first. You will only be able to tell if the helmet is a real good fit after about an hour of wearing it though, as that is when pressure points, especially at the forehead, will become noticeable. The Arai is a good helmet but so is the HJC. Fit and finish on the Arai is simply top notch. The most comfortable, long wearing helmet I have ever owned was an HJC and I've owned Shoeis, Arias, Nolans, Navas (showing my age here), Bell, etc., etc... The only ones I ever crashed-tested were cheaper DOT helmets that both took hard hits on the back, both cracked, and I never had ANY injury in either situation and suffered no loss of consciousness or concussion. The speeds at which the helmets hit the road were about 50 and 35 mph. Read that Motorcyclist helmet issue mentioned above. And, wear what ever you buy.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote