Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 08-05-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
cls
Registered Member

Default Re: Receiver Mounted Cycle Carriers?

I've had two different ones for dirt bikes. They did as advertised. A bit of a nuissance, but they have the advantages you describe. I don't know if I'd trust one for a heavier street bike. They also notably drop your ground clearance in the rear, especially w/a two-wheel drive.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Buy the SV and ride the snot out of it. Take it from someone who owns MANY 30+ year old jap bikes. They may be fun to ride to the supermarket every now and then, but that's about it. Racing them's another matter, 'cause if they blow up it's just a short push back to the pits, instead of spending the night sleeping under it somewhere near Ojai.

Remember, you're dealing with old stuff whirring and clanking around in there, and like the previous post said, oil leaks and other horrible things (like cam chains trying to saw motors in half, etc.) are just waiting to happen.

But if you like stuff like that, go ahead and get the CB. I've got one for sale if you're interested...comes with lots of spare parts.

But whatever you do, don't get a 350 four. Even if someone gives it to you. You have been warned.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Wait a second, I posted to the wrong post again.. man this is good tequila...
Old 08-05-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
Rubble
Founding Member

Get a trailer. If space is at a premium go for the Trailer in a Bag. Unless you have a 3/4 ton, preferably 1 ton, vehicle the hitch carriers just won't cut it, you're hanging an awful lot of wieght off that receiver - lots of handling and stability issues.

http://www.trailerinabag.com

If you don't want to tow a regular style trailer then check out the link below:

http://www.motorcyclecarrier.net/mot...latform46.html
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:16 AM   #5
mnmmelanson
Founding Member

I have got one that has gone on the back of my suburban, then land rover, and now a jeep liberty. No problem using them with a dirt bike but the street bike tends to throw the handling off a little bit. It was an 03 Z1000 and I think it weighed around 450lbs. I did get some rear end sway, but nothing that was dangerous. I did put my DR350 dual sport on the back one time for a 1000 mile trip and did not have a problem at all with the exception of not being able to open the rear doors the whole time. Even though the companies claim a 500lbs limit, I would not put my regular street bike on it again.
mnmmelanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

I use a large "back porch" style receiver cargo shelf that I got for $75.00. It has a 500 lb limit but I only use it to haul my IT175. It takes four ratchet tie-downs to hold the bike to the carrier. Costs a bundle less than those purpose built bike haulers. Since I use a 3/4 ton pickup the weight transfer isn't even noticeable. I have to look in the mirror to make sure it's still there.

Also, plan on using extra ratchet tie downs to tie any carrier to the rear bumper. Otherwise the carrier will rock back and forth in the receiver.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
bowtydaddy
Registered Member

If you have a truck put the bike in the back or get an enclosed trailer. I bought a receiver hitch carrier for my RV on E-Bay, the aluminum one with removable ramp. I had to modify/beef up the rack to haul my DR 650. the rack was rated for 400lbs and weighed 45 lbs. Paid $125.00 and shipping was free.

Check out Bandera, the 11th Street Cowboy Bar on the weekends rocks. Also the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum in Vanderpoole just down the road from the "Best Motorycle Road in Texas". Skip night riding as deer are everywhere.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:24 AM   #8
priday
Founding Member

Thanks! to all! I appreciate it.

Rob

Horsepower is an illusory mathmatical equation; Torque is Real, and is the source of all good things in the world.
priday is offline   Reply With Quote