Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 08-02-2006, 11:05 AM   #21
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Quick Bike for a Tall Guy.

Gabe is 3' 5" with heels on.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2006, 11:06 AM   #22
DouglasB
Founding Member

Thanks Matt - that's alot of info - and yes, you do win. I sat on an FJR this afternoon (the dealer finally had one in stock - an autoshift that the manager had just bought for himself). It fit good, but no riding it. KTM Supermoto looks great and fits, but again, no range. Everyone is plugging the Buell! I guess I need to try and ride one of these puppies - it definitely looks better than the GSs I've had. Thanks again.
DouglasB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:09 AM   #23
DouglasB
Founding Member

Default Re: Quick bike for a tall guy

The Adventure (with or without the S) looks better than the GS and hauls ass. It's at the top of the list for me at this point. Thanks man.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:12 AM   #24
DouglasB
Founding Member

Of all the places, I saw one of these when I was on vacation in Cabo with my wife. If only I lived in the desert. It's cool, alright. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #25
DouglasB
Founding Member

Thanks man...I had't even thought about the 955i. I'll check it out.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:28 AM   #26
gigantic
Registered Member

I'm 6'8 & 230#s. I currently ride a bmw R1100S on the street. personally, I think it's beautiful bike and I'm satisfiedd with the power output, at least as far as street riding is concerned. were I to get smoething quicker, I'd be torn between the BMW R1200S, Aprillia Mille or a Triumph 675. the first two fit pretty well. the Triumph, on the other hand, has lots of legroom, but the reach to the bars is on the short side. If I got one, it would be purely for the track, I'm not sure that I'd want to spend more than a half hour at a time on one.

good luck!

L
GSXR-750 #13 Spyder Leatherworks, TrackdayMag.com East coast staff.
gigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:35 AM   #27
Fenton
Founding Member

Just try to get past the Channel Islands in SB if it's an MD-80. Or at least make sure they threw some grease on the tail.

So the Duc ended up with a bit more "Character" huh?
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:54 AM   #28
James_Brown
Registered Member

Compared to you, I'm a fat midget (6', 200#s) but the updated Tiger from Triumph seems pretty roomy to me. I have a Monster, but have sat on the Tiger and it offers a lot of leg room.
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:04 PM   #29
Alaskan18724
Founding Member

Okay, so I don't completely concur with all of my colleagues--that's okay, we all have different approaches. 6'4", 230, 36" inseam, and I think that anybody who says a tall person "fits" a sportbike of any description is probably describing what I would call an interference fit. I can fold up onto a ZX-14, but I would not call it a fit. Likewise, the FJR, but it is elementary that if a person who is 5'6" "fits" a bike, a significantly larger rider is going to have significantly less room.

I have tried Speed Triples and Futuras and Tuonos and the like, and the same thing applies; I can make it fit, but it ain't natcheral. The reach to the handlebars is comfortable, but the legroom just isn't great.

If you're ruling out the GS on looks, I'd guess that you might have the same feelings about the Ulysses and the KTM Adventure, both of which have good leg room for guys our size. You'd probably also rule out the V-Strom based on looks, although it has perhaps the most comfortable riding position for a tall rider. One possibility might be the new naked boxer R1200R with the taller seat. I'd also have a look at the new Ducati GT 1000; the Sport and Paul Smart are gorgeous, but not a good fit for the tall guys.

A leftover Kawasaki ZRX1200 might be a good choice, too.
Alaskan18724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:17 PM   #30
DouglasB
Founding Member

Agility, utility and comfort. The choices do tend to narrow when you're our size, don't they? Thanks man, I appreciate it.