Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 08-02-2006, 06:22 AM   #11
thalgott
Registered Member

Default Re: Quick bike for a tall guy

I too have a vertical impediment (6'3" with a 34" inseam) when it comes to bikes. I too have owned two BMWs before I purchased my Triumph Daytona 955I. It fits tall riders, and has proven itself very reliable, comfortable, and extremely agile. I have logged 8 hour trips with tail and tank bags, with ease and comfort. Great styling, single sided swingarm, awsome exhaust note, and still rare enough that there won't be a sea of them at your local bike night. The only drawback I can think of is since Triumph is far from the revenue mainstream of the Japanese motorcycles, you have to hunt a little for aftermarket accessories. Other than that, check out the MO article on the Daytona 955i, and check one out at your local dealer!
thalgott is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2006, 06:41 AM   #12
Fenton
Founding Member

+1 for the Daytona 955i. I'm 6'3" w/ 33-34 inseam and 200lbs. I did put some cycle-cat bar risers on. I find the bike to be comfy, however, if you wear liners in your leathers or jeans under an aerostitch you will find the bend at the knee a bit tight. I put 3/4" of memory foam in my stock seat and it helps a bunch. I suppose a sheepskin pad would do the same.

The Buell Uly is also a kick and tons of leg room.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:43 AM   #13
Fenton
Founding Member

You need a RT for weather protection in SD with all that rain last week-end. Friday brunch at the cottage in La Jolla was perfect, weather and all.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:07 AM   #14
Looking_4_a_Bike
Founding Member

Default Re: Quick Bike for a Tall Guy.

Ha I win! I am 6'9 255 pounds sporting a 38' inseam.

I ride an Aprilia Futura, stock with no mods and fits perfectly. More leg room than the FJR.

Notes on other bikes:

+05 Triumph Triples = Sprint didn't work for me, the fairing bumps the knees. Speed Triple rocks but needs new handle bars (felt like a wheel burrow).

V-Stroms = So confy but a little ugly, both 650 and the 1000cc would work. Hell the SV650 isn't bad either. SV1000 is hard on the legs.

ZRX1200 = Works well, no longer made

Z1000 = Good fit, go with Speed Triple instead.

Fz1 = old ones are very nice, I did not fit on the new ones (fairing knee rub)

ZX1400 = slight knee on fairing, you would fit but I would wait for the touring one unless you like having every crotch rocket wanting to race you.

Busa = fit good

BMW K1200 = confy and fit on the naked and the one with a fairing (R and S)... I would wait for the tourer one ($$$)

Aprilia Tuono = Old one my boot would hit the exhaust, I have not sat on the new one.

VFRs = Fits well, I would be tempted to wait for the update (that may never come). Honda 919 is good but a little blah for my taste.

KTM = Adventure is a great fit, and so is the new Supermoto. Get the supermoto if range is not important.

Buell Ulysess = Nice fit, I wanted to like it but I can't get over the lack of top end on the engine. I hit the Buell long on the rubber frame nubs. Try it before you buy it.

Ducati Monsters = good on the arms, too cramped on the legs.

FJR1300 = works well, I like my bikes smaller however.

If you want to stick with beemers go with a R1200, I haven't tried it but I bet it's a good fit. Best looker of the Beemer bunch.

-Matt

Looking_4_a_Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:50 AM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I went riding on the Duc last weekend in the rain and got stranded on hiway 94 in the boonies when my brand new slave cylinder gave out. Hopefully it ends a stretch of bad vehicular luck!

Two weekends ago I pummeled a raccoon in my BMW and tore out the front air dam. On the way back from Phoenix, a rock hit the windshield of my truck and cracked it and now the Duc deal. Oi!

I'll be in an airplane tomorrow so cross your fingers for me.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:53 AM   #16
un_plug
Registered Member

I'm 6'2' with a 36" inseam. i have a Ducati Monster with the ride height set to max. Fits me fine. I've ridden a Buell Ulysses, Lightning Long, and Speed triple. all those fit good too. I would also recomend the new Triumph ST.
un_plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:14 AM   #17
manalagi001
Registered Member

I would totally look at a KTM 950 twin, either the Adventure or Supermoto. Read Gabe's test, he loved it.
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:17 AM   #18
davidhaner
Founding Member

I'm 6'3 with a 34" inseam, I'm skinny has heck, and my sv650s fits just fine. However, I fold up real good.

I have a 6'5" friend who's 210 lbs or so with a K1200R and he loves it.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:29 AM   #19
rick_1
Registered Member

Dude, You like Bmers...so get an HP2. Is even taller than a GS, plus lighter and faster, and street legal etc . Good luck.
rick_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:01 AM   #20
DouglasB
Founding Member

My wife has been trying for years to fatten me up. I haven't ridden any of the new K bikes. I'll give em a try. Thanks.
DouglasB is offline   Reply With Quote