Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 07-27-2006, 09:49 AM   #41
manalagi001
Registered Member

Default Re: Yamaha YZF R6 OR Suzuki GSXR600?

Sometimes when you are going to buy something there are winners and losers, must-buys and lemon-scams. A novice buyer will worry about getting fleeced and ending up with a product that those "in the know" scoff at. It would suck if you bought brand X and it turned out the forum members here overwhelmingly panned brand X yet supported brand Y. That simply will not be the case here.

A few trends are emerging as a sort of consensus: one, the Yamaha is slightly more track focused. Two, both bikes are track focused. Three, more street-oriented alternatives are worth considering (cheaper too) such as the Honda F4i, the Yamaha R6s, and the Kawi 636. Three, "fit" is just as important as looks and motor character in terms of the bike's overall appeal to you. On that note, I'm surprised no one mentioned the new Triumph Daytona, which is tiny-feeling, like a Ducati 749, and affordable. Both the Triumph and Ducati should be on your list as well.
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2006, 10:15 AM   #42
RRRIDER
Registered Member

So how do you thing raising the gearing will affect driveability? You might have to rev the ***** out of it in order to get going from a stop. On busas you can do this because they have a very strong linear torque curve and you get a higher top speed. These bike dont' even make good power till about 10k. I would go the opposite route and lower the gearing a bit (not stunter gearing) so you get in to the power quicker and can use it. This would also work well on a tight track or riding the twisties. Yes you may use a tad more gas, but who buys a sportbike for gas mileage? If you are worried about the noise, then stay with the stock exhaust; the newer bikes sound pretty good stock.
RRRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:09 AM   #43
seruzawa
The Toad

Oh, please. Depreciation on Japanese bikes, especially sportbikes, is ruinous. Hondas included. You can pick up brand new VTX1800s locally for almost 4K under list.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:32 AM   #44
ntschwartz
Founding Member

I owned a 2006 GSXR600, and my friend parks his 2006 R6 at my house, so i've ridden both. The GSXR600 has more low end, and was a better bike i think, but was MUCH to loud to ride daily. My ears would ring for hours (i'm 34). The yamaha is nice, but no guts, and also loud for rides over 20 miles. I test rode the Triumph 675. It roasted my balls. If you want to ride on regular surface streets, and don't expect to hit triple digits daily, I'd look at the SV650S. I loved my 650n. Terrific low end torque. The suspension needs some up-grading, but that's not to hard.

Noah.

2006 BMW K12S
ntschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:40 AM   #45
Gritboy
Founding Member

If you're set on a 600 or 650, either bike is great -- though I'd opt for a SV650 over either of those if you want the best bang for the buck. However, if you think you might outgrow a 600 in the next couple of years go for an '06 GSX-R 750 -- amazingly more power and performance over it's 600 sibling and marginal weight increase.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:41 AM   #46
GrisoDG
Founding Member

Get the Triumph 675!!!
GrisoDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:41 AM   #47
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Actually, I second that. Something a little less frantic (sv-650, monster, or even a 750) would probably suit your riding habits better. Now that I think of it, the Kawi 636 and Triumph 675 are probably less demanding to ride, and can keep up with the 600s anywhere but the track.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:50 AM   #48
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Does seem like it would make it harder to launch, and make being on the power band more critical. A skilled rider could probably make that work for him, touring wise. Don't know if it would be good advice for a relatively new rider though.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:28 PM   #49
pudlepirate
Registered Member

If you are not flogging this bike around @ the limit you should consider something with a wider power band. a nice air cooled ducati, monster or the supersport you should also look at the naked class or a vfr interceptor. Get a bike you can enjoy all the time and not just at the track. honestly your 500 ninja probably has more pick up around town at low revs than a 600 supersport. good luck and get whatever you like. I don't have to live with your descision!
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:30 PM   #50
orcyclist
Founding Member

Neither. Don't buy new. Let the other guy take the big depreciation hit.

SV650, Kawi 650, Kawi 750S, Monster. These are STREET bikes. The latest generation of 600's are so sharply focused that they are not very useful on the street.

You might want to check with your insurance co. before you buy and get some quotes on the bikes. The quotes may change your mind.

There is no such thing as "better" unless you define the parameters. 600's are "better" as track bikes than street bikes. My BMW 1100RS is "better" for 2500 mile trips than any sport bike - I know I've done trips on both types. My 89 Yamaha FZR is a "better" track bike.

Save some money on the purchase and go to a riding school - any good one will do! (I don't care how long you have been riding you can learn something) and get some good riding gear - like leather pants and jacket.

If it comes down just to " A 600 Sport bike -That's what I want" then go with your gut - the one YOU like the most.

Good luck.