Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 07-27-2006, 06:09 AM   #31
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Yamaha YZF R6 OR Suzuki GSXR600?

Chicks dig Harley's. You know that. Hell, have her pick up those damned parts that fall off. Better yet, make her buy all the oil that leaks out. That should cure her.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2006, 06:13 AM   #32
RRRIDER
Registered Member

You said that you are a small rider, so you probAbly have a short inseam. I've sat on both (sat on the GSXR600 yesterday) and the GSXR600 is pretty low to the ground. I don't know the exact measurements, but if felt like I was on a moped. SOmeone mentioned the CBR600RR, but the seat on that bike is pretty high. The R6 seat height was noticeable higher than the suzuki. For strictly street non-aggressive riding I wouldn't recommend the R6 due to its narrow powerband. The GSXR600 looks great, but also check out the 750; they look the same, but you get even more useable power from the 750.
RRRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:30 AM   #33
pdad13
Founding Member

Yeah, the seat-height thing is true. Suzuki has set the rider lower in the bike. I was amazed at how comfortable the GSX-R1000 seemed (for me--my feet were flat on the ground with my knees bent), with a very natural, unstressed reach to the clip-ons. The 600 and 750 appear to have similar characteristics. The pegs are a little high for some people, but if you're not real long of inseam, it shouldn't be a problem.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:33 AM   #34
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Why not get a Buell XB9R or S

Not that I thought he was going to get one in the first place, but Cuddy already scared him off.

Next month it'll be a Bimota Tesi 2D.

The month after it'll be a Boss Hoss.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:44 AM   #35
irene
Registered Member

I prefer the GSXR600... way sexier!

(just my female point of view...!)

anyway... have you considered a kawi ninja zx-6r?
irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:51 AM   #36
iamz
Founding Member

Thanks. I don't have the stats but I'd put money on it that more deaths occur on 600's than liter bikes.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:05 AM   #37
Flickmeister
Registered Member

The biggest problem with the Speed Triple is when you go to trade or sell it. Most dealers won't even take one on trade and you will lose a fortune if you sell it on your own. I had an '02 Triple and I lost thousands when I finally sold it. It took over 10 months to unload it when a guy visiting the states from New Zealand finally bought it. Nothing wrong with the bike. It worked very well (but VERY different from a Japanese 600). I personally found my '04 Gixxer 600 a much more satisfying bike to ride than the Triple. When it comes to handling, the Triumph isn't in the same league as any of the 600s. Hope this helps. Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:56 AM   #38
mheyer
Founding Member

All of the 600 supersports are so close that if you are not track-riding them, go for:

1) What floats your boat on looks

2) What one you like the feel of sitting on

3) dealer support - which is closer, friendlier, etc

4) price you get it at

Other things to consider:

1) if you are not track riding the bike, get something else. They are not comfortable, nor great to ride at a semi-legal street pace. Other bikes are faster than you need for a public road, more comfortable, and can still look very cool.

I have a non-street-legal GSX-R 750 for the track, and a Triumph Sprint ST for the road. These supersport bikes are great when used for what they are meant for. Anything else is a waste. And with the high quality of other bikes today, I can still embarass 99% of the riders on the road with my "sport-tourer", and I can get around much more comfortably, get better gas mileage, and don't have to rev the engine to the moon to develop power - which is much better for rideability on the street. Keeping the revs up eats fuel, announces to every cop that you are coming, and makes the throttle twitchy if you are not really get on the bike. The other option is to have to drop 3 gears to everytime you want power - pain in the ass.

my $0.02....
mheyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:35 AM   #39
Tigercub
Founding Member

Go with the GSXR600. Lots of support. Ride reports indicate it works well on the street, which is what you said you favor. I rode a GSXR750 and loved it. Don't know about the 600.

Last thought you won't read anywhere else.

After you get your 600 change the sprockets as follows: Increase one tooth on the front drive sprocket and lower it one tooth on the rear sprocket. You can use the same chain. The sprocket change lowers the rpm. It turns a Super Sport street/race bike into a fast sport-touring motorcycle. This is just the opposite of what all the squids do who want fast acceleration. Instead you get a big improvement in drivability and high-speed touring comfort. You can always spin the motor above 10K if you just have to go fast on the street. Hell, my '63 Triumph Cub will kill me in a high speed crash.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:41 AM   #40
Tigercub
Founding Member

I agree. You have to buy a Triumph because you want a Triumph. in fact the reliability is so good on Trumpets that your best bet is to buy a used one at half the price and keep it. The 600 fours handle good, but there's only used ones left. If you are planning to resell a new bike start with a Honda.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote