Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 07-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #41
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Re: Hyosung GT250R

[b]

I found some images of the KAWASAKI ZX2R a 250cc 4-stroke, 4 cylinder, 4 valve per cylinder sportbike

at google http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...ch&sa=N&tab=wi
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #42
obandoj
Founding Member

By the way, I would not hesitate to buy the GT650, Gabe and Alan Cathcart had good stuff to say about them, and if they are anything like the stolen design, they will rule.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:06 AM   #43
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I dunno about that home b0y had me a honda 150 dreamsicke that do about 200 miles an hour, once had me this painfull blister from the frikshun on my fo'head since we had to use rags soaked in creasote for helmuts. man, that lirttle HoNdA sho nuff bah msrrp wngh...zzzzz
Old 07-13-2006, 11:31 AM   #44
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Drinking again, eh? It's the Intercept program for you.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:31 AM   #45
seruzawa
The Toad

Oh BS! American motorcycles are junk. Just go to any motorcycle junkyard and look around. Sheeesh.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:27 PM   #46
staff
Registered Member

Default Good Lord!

I can't believe how little people know, yet how eager they are to post their crumbs of know-nothing-ness.

A few of you hit on a few actual stats, but I've sat on one of these bikes (and have a friend who is San Francisco's dealer), so I know a bit more.

The seat height is as tall as their GT650, which makes not-so-much sense for a 250 Sportbike. The Ninja's appeal is the low seat for a lot of people, it's th eonly sportbike they can comfortably ride.

The motor is an air-cooled four-valve V that probably sounds and looks good but lacks the power of the Ninja 250. The Ninja makes 28 or so at the back wheel; I'll eat my hat if the GT makes over 22.

The Ninja's CLAIMED weight is 305. In reality, with a full tank of gas, it weighs in at about 350 (I weighed my race-prepped bike at 345). The GT is probably about 380-390 wet.

The GT's suspension and ground clearance will be far superior, not to mention tires; honest 17-inchers. Let's not forget bigger brake discs, too. Also, the GT looks great with the full fairing; modern and fast.

Reliability and build quality: The Ninja 250 is not exactly a Bimota, although it does hold together well (if you don't crash or race it) and hold resale value well too. It's a 20 year-old design with 20 year-old tooling, and it looks it. I'd say Hyosung's QC is at least on par with Kawasaki c. 1985 (if not better), so it's a wash, plus Hyosung has a two-year warranty and plenty of dealers in So Cal, where Mr. Larson hails from.

Bottom line is that the Hyosung looks better and probably handles better too, but the Ninja will be much faster and more fun to ride. However, this is all conjecture at this point; we have a GT250/EX250 comparison test scheduled, so stay tuned for the real skinny!

Gabe
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:40 PM   #47
billhawley
Founding Member

Default Re: Hyosung GT250R - American vs Japanese product

I own a 1995 Buick Riviera Supercharged coupe with 160,000 miles. Apart from oil changes and normal wear items, it has had: a water pump ($21.00), harmonic balancer ($80.00), and a radiator ($200.00 - installed price!) in that time period. It gets almost 30 mpg on the highway, blows ice cold air in Summer, and great heat in Winter; plus it still rides better than any current Japanese luxury car (while being at least as quiet inside).

It's also shown the way through lots of twisty roads to many "fine European sports sedans" (that are twice its price) over the years. Nice used ones are for sale in the $5 - 7,000 price range, which is a lot more than your baloney sandwich. A used 1995 Lexus or Infiniti residing in the Northeast is probably in a scrap yard by now (due to rust from road salt), while my Riv has not a spot of rust on it, and emits not a rattle or squeak from its body and chassis. 11 years after it was born I still get compliments on its styling everywhere I go. A 10 year old premium Japanese product looks decidedly dated by comparison.

Cadillac and Buick are also consistantly among the top rated cars in consumer quality surveys, and represent far better "bang for the buck" than Asian or Eurpean cars that compete in the same categories. The newest Corvettes are a tremendous value, and are truly world class. American workers can and do produce quality products (I do give the imports a lot of credit for forcing that change to have taken place).

Go look at a new Buick Lucerne (let alone a Caddy), then a comparable Lexus and tell me why someone would rationally pay a 12 - $15,000 premium for the import -- except to say: "I could've bought a better car, but this one cost more..."
billhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:43 PM   #48
mad1
Founding Member

Top speed has NOTHING to do with weight. All that affects top speed is friction (air, wheels, engine) and power. Plus, 90 mph isn't much for a 250 - in India, there are 110cc 14 horsepower unfaired bikes that get to 70mph. Also, back in the 60s, dustbin-faired bikes used to do 160mph with only(!) 70hp
mad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:15 PM   #49
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Has everyone forgot how much web support can mean to a MC owner? The suspect the Ninja 250 has plenty. The new Hyosung? That will take some time. Look at the Concours, GW, VRF, Intruders, etc. all bikes which have been around and have great web forums, and support. That has proven to be very valuable to me.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:33 PM   #50
Gluge
Registered Member

screw that get an aprilia RS250, yes you can find them street legal.

Or even an aprilia 125 would probably be just as powerfull but a lot better handling.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote