Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 07-13-2006, 06:16 AM   #11
bbtowns
Founding Member

Default Re: Hyosung GT250R

Whenever anyone asks about a bike here, they get the "you should buy what I ride answer". Those EX250s are bullet proof, but if you buy Korean give us an update every 5K miles or so. We'd all like to hear how those hold up.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2006, 06:53 AM   #12
stlarson
Registered Member

It's great to see a reply which isn't "go buy a SV650 or a Connie, you dork" or which dismisses the bike outright because it is new and Korean. The 650 model held up well against the SV650 in the comparison here from last year, and with the 250 being built around the same idea I would expect it to smoke the old Ninja.

If I do buy one I'll definitely keep people posted.
stlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:55 AM   #13
stlarson
Registered Member

From what I've been able to gather the 250 engineering is very close to what they used for the 650, and that seemed to hold its own for the most part in the comparo here, which is why I'm considering it. Thanks for the additional info on their plans.
stlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:58 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Heh heh. My friend's fancy fully loaded V6 4Runner gets about the same mileage as my K2500 when we go desert camping fully loaded. That's interesting because I'm usually carrying twice the payload he is over the mountains because I've got most of the water. (I also leave him in the dust uphill.) He also has to carry extra 5gal gas cans because of the 4Runner's tiny fuel tank. On top of that it's regularly back in the shop to fix problems with the fancy doodads. The crowning touch was when the electric latch for the rear hatch quit in the middle of the desert... there's no manual release! He had to load it from the cab area. He also complains about the poor off road handling because of all the weight he has to carry on the roof because of the lack of carrying space.

He's really sorry he traded his F-150 for it.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:08 AM   #15
NLJ
Founding Member

For those who call it a suzuki ripoff, who do you think has played a big role is suzuki's R&D over the last 15yrs???

You guessed it Hyosung! Actually they still manufacture parts for Suzuki, Kawasaki and i believe a few parts for Yamaha. A few people were saying that the 650 engine they use was a cookie cutter of the sv650, but it isn't it's actually as efficent as the suzuki model utilizing a carb.

I'm not sure what to think about the rebadging of the model that UM is doing, but i've heard alot of positive feedback on the Hyosung brand.
NLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:19 AM   #16
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: American vs. Japanese Cars

You are of course generalizing when you speak of Japanese cars vs. American, right?. They ALL breakdown eventially. While the there are serious advantages to owning the avg. Japanese cars, they also cost more up front. All said and done I think it's all about even. That said, it's the opposite with so American brand motorcycles, with the American brand costing much more. To make matters worse, American MC resale values are slowly declining while Japanese are doing better.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:29 AM   #17
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I'll take curtain number 3 Monty!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:40 AM   #18
Gritboy
Founding Member

The SV650 is a fantastic bike, but believe it or not, so folks who aren't newbies WANT a 250-400cc sportbike. They have a very different feel that heavier bikes, and their powerband is a blast if you like high RPMing, but not launching your front end. That said, I really miss my RZ350... talk about mini-rocket!
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:48 AM   #19
acecycleins
Founding Member

Engineering and R&D are two different animals. Suzuki DID the engineering homework and if it's true that Hyosung R&D'd the motor then it makes Hyosungs job easier when they ship their own bikes. But ultimately, it's still a "rip-off" design. Nothing wrong with that. S&S did it to Harley and they sell tons on motors every year. As far as the UM distribution: UM has more money and a bigger network- that's why the aligned. I've heard the bike may carry a UM badge but Hyosung still stands behind the bike with a 2 year unlimited miles warranty. Being a Finance Mgr, I will tell you that if you plan to keep it for more than 2 yrs buy a service contract. Offer about to buy it at a 30% discount. The bike shop will make about $50-80 bucks on the contract and you'll be have the peace of mind to know that if the bike fails it will be covered for repairs.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:49 AM   #20
georgemts
Founding Member

My son has a GT250 and has put 3,000 miles on it this summer. The bike goes like heck (I can barely keep up with him on freeway ramp runs to the freeway: I have a Ducati!), and it gets around 100 mpg. When we go to bike nights, HIS is the bike that gets the oogles, not my Duc! It has been a totally trouble free bike for him and he loves it. I still cannot get over the power the bike has with just 250CC. It will easily run 90 mph all day long but moreover has absolutely no performance issues for any application including freeway use. And my son is a big boy 6' 4", 230 pounds... And the dealer support here in Columbus, Ohio has been superb. The Hyosung 250 has been an incredible value for my son.
georgemts is offline   Reply With Quote