Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-27-2006, 09:41 AM   #21
jhenzie
Founding Member

Default Re: XB9R or Z1000 ?

That's a fair point, however, I think you might be doing a disservice to Buell based on their incredible geometry and innovations regarding mass centralization.

All I am saying is that the look of a buell mated with a modern vtwin design might ostrisize a few Buell fanatics but could gain a massive number of converts.

A parallel would be Apples adoption of intel processors.

jhenzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2006, 10:08 AM   #22
mjs
Founding Member

nix on both, get yourself a clean, used ZRX 1200,

I've ridden both of the bikes that you are looking at and was always very happy to get back on my ZRX 1100
mjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:19 AM   #23
maladg
Registered Member

Default Re: straight

That Maico 250 WR I owned for years weren't too fun to find parts fer neither. And no Greeves cachet, either.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:43 AM   #24
lcarlson
Founding Member

Maybe, but the SR2 1000 Monster already exists.
lcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:44 AM   #25
Auphliam
Founding Member

I agree. When they came out with the latest chassis innovations a couple years ago(internal fuel/oil storage, mass centrallization, perimeter brakes, etc.), I remember thinking "Wow, they are really, honestly, doing something others have not". Then I couldn't help thinking to myself "but its still got that same old tired Sporty engine", and that's coming from a former Sportster owner.

IMO, it really is a shame to have that much innovation on one side of the ledger, only to be tied down by HD on the other. If they want to impress, they should combine Buell's chassis with that VSRC motor. Now you're talking sport bike.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #26
madmax1
Founding Member

If you're looking for a hooligan machine on the cheap the Z is your bike. With a few cheap changes it'll also pull you 200 mile trips with ease (windscreen, seat, and lead shot filled bars).

madmax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:05 AM   #27
bollert
Registered Member

Don't worry about the naysayers re Buell engines. They are the way they are for a reason. Good torque and sound. The minute their customers say "we want a lamer sound", or "we want a peaky, high-revving engine" they'll start putting quad cam water-cooled engines in all their bikes. Why wouldn't they? They want to make money too. Buell got some damn good power out of that little twin, about the same as the Ducati air-cooled, and they are highly reliable - oh and no desmo dealer service either. Air cooled will always suffer a little in the HP department, but brings with it much less sophistication/maintenance, etc. Besides, for the street and twisties, the powerband on the Buells is a bullseye. If you have to catch up in the straights, take a riding school at the track. Bottom line, don't listen to the BS, pick the bike that turns you on - they're damn-near all good bikes. BTW, listen to a Buell go by at full honk with a pipe, and then listen to the hottest tractor you can find and see if there is any resemblence. Haters suck, bikers rule.
bollert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #28
Mooner
Founding Member

To be fair, I have not ridden a Thruxton, so I shouldn't talk it down too much. I am raelly suprised a guy that critisizes the Buell motor want a low powered bike like the Thruxton. Cool bike in concept, but give it some more power fer crissakes!

I was once in the same category as the rest of the Buell bashers here. "Put a Modern Engine In IT!!!" I have since ridden a couple, and I guess I am one of the people those tractor motors speak to. Probably be my next bike. I can see not everyone would like it, that's good. Some people will right away, some it would take more time. It took a little time for me, but I think I am smitten.
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:40 AM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: straight

How about Parilla? A friend of mine bought a 125 really cheap from some guy. It never ran.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:41 AM   #30
pdad13
Founding Member

Well, this is trodden ground, but the Revolution engine is just way too big and heavy for that bike. But a more compact motor along those lines would be great.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote