Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-27-2006, 07:39 AM   #11
orcyclist
Founding Member

Default Re: XB9R or Z1000 ?

I have beenadvocating the "no helmet no meidcal payments" approach for years. Remember those old commercials "Freedom is not free?" There are and should be consequences to every choice. Here's my take

Helmet: A bit hot, maybe a little less hearnig, probably better looking than the head under it; More skull and brain protection, medical payments if injured, less donor organs.

No Helmet: Cooler (temperature); Better hearing, bugs on face, "freedom", zero skull and brain protection, no medical payments if injured, greater suply of donor organs.

Why do the no helmet crowd wear gloves, or sunglasses? Don't they cut down on the "experience"?

Flame away, it's my OPINION, fool. No mater what you say it won't change. Read the Hurt report before you spout off. Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2006, 07:50 AM   #12
leanin1
Registered Member

After test riding a Buell, FZ1 and Z1000. I went with the z1000... never regretted it until it came time to sell it. Its a great bike that just isn't very popular in the US since it doesn't fall in the sport bike/cruiser mold.

Its very comfortable around town. Less hiway comfort than the FZ1. But, lots more fun and personality.

Most of the vibration in the bars is caused by a loose clutch lever. A plastic shim will remove the side-to-side clearance in the clutch lever and make bar vibration a non-issue.

BTW, with an orange z1000 you'll need to allow an extra 5 minutes at every gas stop for Q&A. The non-riding public loves the bike!
leanin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:50 AM   #13
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: straight

Well my Greeves with the "booey" pipe can outdo that any day. What'd ya say sonny? Speak into the trumpet...
Old 06-27-2006, 07:56 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Greeves, eh? And people with Italian bikes think that they have parts issues.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:04 AM   #15
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yes, it's fun to make your own Greeves parts out of wood or wire coat hangers. And the hose clamp is king.

Didja know ignition points from a 216 cu.in. Cheby 6 fit just fine in many wonderful English products? As well as Czecho stuff?

Old 06-27-2006, 08:12 AM   #16
03zx12r
Registered Member

the last reply regarding the clutch lever/handle bar buzz is valuable info. Thanks for sharing that tip...
03zx12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:19 AM   #17
lcarlson
Founding Member

If you put a Suz or Duc motor in the Buell, you would not have a Buell. The motor is the heart of the beast, and what gives the machine its visceral character. You can't change the motor and keep the character.

Whether or not that character appeals to you is a separate issue.
lcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:53 AM   #18
pdad13
Founding Member

I loved the Buell just the way it is, but it would be neat to find out what it would be like with a Duc down below. I'm pretty sure I'd like it. A lot.

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:04 AM   #19
cls
Registered Member

If you have to ask, get the Z. The Buell has to be a definite want to be worth it. Not dogging it, in the least, just not one of the Japanese bikes...
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:39 AM   #20
gas_pig
Founding Member

Yamaha sells lower risers (GTY-R risers) that lower the bars a bit too if needed. I found I was sitting too straight up when I got my FZ1 ('02). These leaned me over just enough so I didn't feel like I was going to fall off the back of the bike on acceleration.