Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-25-2006, 02:59 AM   #1
SuperBill
Founding Member

Default Re: The skinny on skinny tires...

Skinny tires save lives
SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2006, 04:24 AM   #2
kn
Founding Member

I assume that you're going to put the (slightly) wider tire on the same wheel. Does the manufacturer of the tire offer any suggestions for what wheel widths that it works with? Don't know about motorcycle tires, but for my pickup truck, the better tire manufacturers offer charts for each size tire that includes the range in width of rims that can be fitted. The vehicle manufacturers (motorcycle or truck) usually say to use only the size that THEY fitted, so they're no help. Unless a tire manufacturer steps up and says that their tire will fit your rim, you'll be exploring new territory. BTW, what exactly do you hope to gain by going from a 130 to a 140? Looks? Performance? Squirmy sidewalls?
kn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:51 AM   #3
bigdx
Founding Member

Stick to the original size ... "over tire-ing" a bike my cause some very nasty handling characteristics.

BTW, A bigger tire will not look much bigger as the narrow width of the std rim will simply force the tire into a more rounded profile. The only way to go bigger is to go for wider rim to suit the wider tire.
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:36 AM   #4
JLWarrior
Registered Member

About 15 years ago I thought it would look cool to put a wider tire on the stock wheel of my 900 Ninja. Handled like crap. Keep the stock size.
JLWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:37 AM   #5
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Why??

Why do you want to go with a wide tire?
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:51 AM   #6
mii54ws
Founding Member

I'm a believer that bike manufacturers did not chose tire size because of some economic benefit to them, but rather that size made the bike handle the best. They really do want to sell more bikes, and unless the manufacturer is a novelty type (Indian, etc), I always stick to the OEM size. Just MHO.
mii54ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:52 AM   #7
TomSmith
Founding Member

Yes, there are rim width requirements for each size tire. Go to the tire mfr sites for this info. Don't forget that a wider tire might rub against something (like your chain) depending on your clearances. Just one size wider might work, or not. I wouldn't do it.
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:16 AM   #8
BikerJC
Founding Member

I've never understood the compulsion to put wide tyres on bikes. So many people stick 180 rears (with new rims, mind) on SV650s - why? Cause the squids think it looks cool! No benefit, just more expensive tyres to replace. I think the same goes in this case.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:58 AM   #9
everiman
Registered Member

What they said, re stick to original size, BUT, what is even more important is that you don't change the profile, ferinstance, your tire is likely a 130/80 which means that the height is 80% of the width. Going from a 130/80 to a 140/80 probably won't make much difference, other than clearance issues, but if you were to go to a 140/70 (if there is such a thing) it would cause major problems, as wide profile tires require wider rims. The major tire manufacturers have websites with the aforemention fitment guides for tires with recommended, minimum and maximum rim sizes. Use those and at least your choice will be safe. Needless to say manufacturers recommendations only apply to their products, so if say Michelin says a particular size of tire they sell is OK for you rim doesn't necessarily mean the same size dunlop is OK as well.
everiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:15 AM   #10
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: The Skinny on Skinny Tires...

Keep in mind the profile relationship between the front & rear will effect handling as well. I currently have a 190 rear (oem) and will be changing to a 180 when the time comes.

IMO, the 190 profile is too "flat" for the 120 front.

I would keep the stock 130. And if you think a 140 will improve handling, go to some vintage races and watch those guys drag everything on some really skinny tires.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote