Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-25-2006, 08:37 AM   #11
ssmiley
Founding Member

Default It's "Low" profile, not "Wide" profile

140/80's and 140/70's have the same cross section Width --- 140 mm (assuming we filter out brand and manufacturing variances)

A lower aspect ratio number (70 vs. 80) is generally referred to as a "Lower" profile.

Generally, lower profile tires "narrow" the choice of approved rim sizes because they have less sidewall to accommodate multiple widths.

ssmiley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2006, 10:07 AM   #12
ivan_spartan
Founding Member

Default Re: The Skinny on Skinny Tires...

What about changing from an 80/90 (OEM) to a 90/90 on the front of a Victory Vegas? I've heard it will corner better.
ivan_spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #13
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Re: Why??

Bigger contact patch. The thinking is that a wider contact patch will result in better handling. Isn't that generally true?
Old 06-25-2006, 10:40 AM   #14
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Thanks for the input. Are wider tires (180 series) on many new bikes a styling thing... or are they better handling?
Old 06-25-2006, 10:44 AM   #15
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Re: The skinny on skinny tires...

I want the best handling setup possible. I was thinking that wider tire = bigger contact patch = better grip and handling. Why do many newer bikes come stock with 180 and 190 series tires? Are they just for looks or are they truly offer better performance?
Old 06-25-2006, 11:38 AM   #16
bigdx
Founding Member

Nope. The best handling out will be the size the manufacturer recommends.

If you widen the back (both rim and tire) the bike will resist turning. It will take more effort to initiate a lean and it will want to upright itself once in the turn.

Modern bikes are designed for wide tires and consequently work with those tires. Even so, you are not going to see sport bikes with 240-250 on the back anytime soon.

Simply sticking on a bigger tire is not a good thing to do. The rim needs to be wide enough to handle the tire it supports.

I suspect you have 3" rim width. May years ago I put a 150 on my ‘84 GPZ900R (3" rim width) and the handling became very very strange. Each time I went into a lean it felt as though the rear wheel had gone over an imperfection like a deep rut. It actually seemed to step-out an inch or each time I leaned into a corner which, believe me, it was very unnerving.

Being to much of a hot head to go back to a 130, I had the rim widened to 4 1/4" which got rid of the strange step-out, but the bike then really resisted leaning. I ended up dropping the front 1 1/2 and raising the rear an inch. That caused even more problems – but I digress.

Try it if you like but if you do find the bike behaving funny simply go back to the manufacturers recommended size. It may not look as cool, but ending up injuring yourself is worse.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:36 PM   #17
pplassm
Founding Member

The newer bikes are engineered to make use of these tires from the beginning. To answer your question, yes to both. 180 width tires on the rear are pretty much the sportbike standard for middleweights these days, so all the bikes look best with them, and they also perform best with them.

You can usually go 10mm wider without too much wierdness going on. However, the previouse comments are indeed true. Youre bike was engineered with 130's in mind, so it will perform best with 130's.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:44 PM   #18
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Thanks for the input! I think I'll heed your advice and stay "skinny".
Old 06-25-2006, 01:45 PM   #19
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:37 PM   #20
Fenton
Founding Member

I feel the 180 is a pretty resonable size for current sport bikes. You still have a large contact patch while retaining a round profile. I think the 190 was put on a lot of bikes for "bigger is better" and many owners have replaced them with 180s for a quicker response.

A few bikes the 190s were oem for bragging rights, (GXSR-750, ZX-9, 998, Daytona) could benefit from a 180. Ask the hotshots here; I don't think you can get a 190 on those bikes "feathered" to the edge before you get into trouble.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote