Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-13-2006, 05:53 AM   #11
SquareTire
Registered Member

Default Re: Ex500r or Gs500f ?

I have ridden neither one. However, I do own a EX250 and have about 15000 miles on it. It is small but it has its charms. I think it is mostly about price, ergonomics, and power preference. The EX250 goes about 27 hp, and I think the gs is around 35, the EX500 is around 50. These 3 bikes have stood the test of time, and I think they are all good bikes for beginners.
SquareTire is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2006, 05:59 AM   #12
JBK1200LT
Founding Member

Ex for sure - and don't buy a new one - buy one 2-3 years old and save your money.

You most likely will not be keeping it for years and be upgrading anyway.

see www.cycletrader.com
JBK1200LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:18 AM   #13
schizuki
Founding Member

Both are good bikes. The Kawasaki is a legitimate sportbike and has a rather stellar reputation.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:21 AM   #14
schizuki
Founding Member

Kawasaki if you want legitimate sportbike performance. Suzuki if you don't want to screw around with liquid cooling.

Performance vs simplicity. Either choice is a good one.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:21 AM   #15
acecycleins
Founding Member

One of my first rides was an excellent 82 model. No iffy brakes, completely reliable. The only difference between the EX and the CB is the number of cylinders. The bikes are within 25-35 pounds of one another in wet weight. And $1500 is way better than $3000 if you don't know what you want to spend money on. He could find a perfectly reliable 82-84 Nighthawk and ride for years before moving to a different bike. If he were really clever he'd look for a Honda Hawk 650. Light, fun, great mileage and he can turn it into a club racer when he gets some time in the saddle.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:26 AM   #16
schizuki
Founding Member

BTW, there's no rule that you have to "outgrow" your first bike and get rid of it after a few years. My first bike was a Yamaha Maxim 400 (air-cooled parellel-twin cruiser) and I rode it with a grin on my face for 12 years. I think you could be quite happy on either of these bikes for a very long time.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:28 AM   #17
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Neither...

AFTER taking the MSF course

I'd do one of the two:

a: Get a Ninja 650 or SV650, and practice right wrist discipline. At low RPM, the 650s aren't that much more than the EX500, but is a much better overall package. I WISH I started on an SV650 instead of an EX500, i'd still have the SV... THe Ninja 650 is especially good because it is very narrow, has a really low CG, and has a very low seat height.

b: Get an EX250/Ninja 250. Its fast enough for the freeway, very VERY light and forgiving. And when you upgrade to a bigger bike, you either sell it for almost what you paid or KEEP the 250 as a commuter hack/trackbike, as its light weight, tossability, and low cost make it a much MUCH better track bike than an EX500.

In retrospect, I wish I did one of the two options instead of getting the EX, which was a great bike but I replaced it in 2 years with a VFR.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:36 AM   #18
SRMark
Founding Member

Amen to that! I just redid my SR500 ('7 and have more fun on it than any other bike in the garage. Plus, it looks like a motorcycle.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:37 AM   #19
rjn
Founding Member

i rode a fzr600 for my first bike (not a great choice) but i survived with a few close calls and nothing more than a couple tip overs while not moving. i have not ridden the EX500 but i had to sell my fzr and my wife bought a gs 500 with fairings after taking the msf course i now ride it and like its quite peppy up to 60 but is buzzy and the mirrors vibrate like crazy. but it corners well enough is predictable and also difficult to get yourself in trouble with. id reccomend it ps also can get 55mpg if your not too much of a speed demon. i do believe the ex500 is suppose to have alot more in the performance area but as a beginner it would be a little bit before you could get all the performance out of either of these bikes
rjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:54 AM   #20
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Neither...

That's actually pretty awesome advice. The Ninja 250 makes a great first bike and really-nice-to-have-around keeper after you buy a second bike.