Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   Let's Get Naked! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/3659-lets-get-naked.html)

schizuki 06-09-2006 05:54 PM

Re: Let's Get Naked!

Yeah, whenever I see anyone having a blast on a Concours, I like to pull him over and point out how outdated it is. Then he sees how wrong he was to be having fun on it and apologizes.

schizuki 06-09-2006 06:06 PM

Well, if he's an average American, he may be busy with his 16 or 18 kids, right?

I think you should post this question at least ten more times, in several more threads. It's really interesting and not at all annoying.

jeremymeridith 06-09-2006 06:27 PM

if money is not the primary concern, look into the buell XB12R, bla bla about the engine noise, put it agains any one of the bikes you have talked about on a twisty road, and watch them fall miles behind....

sarnali 06-09-2006 07:32 PM

Some people just don't hve the sense to know they're not having fun

racerraul 06-09-2006 07:52 PM

Unless the Styling of the Z1000 is what you don't like or you prefer a Vtwin mill... the z1000 is the best deal In my opinnion...

You can find left over stock z1000's from $6k to $7k... The main problem with the bike is the suspenders & that can be easily upgraded for less than $2k & the suspension will be tunned to your riding & weight.

I got mine for $4500 with only 5k miles... I have a ton of mods already done (rear sets, exhausts, forks, shock, etc...) I have spent about $8k total including the bike...

I like all of the ones mentioned already, but my pocket always tells me that I somehow find the shortcoming of every model... and the Z's were the cheapest to address...

Good luck with your search... Those new Ducs & the KTM sure are great looking bikes...

docflash 06-09-2006 10:18 PM

plate o' shrimp.

i've been shopping for a second bike for a month or so (my daily commute is a bmw r1100rsl on which i've put about 88K over the last 6 years). most of my riding is commuting from san francisco to my medical office in greenbrae, and a ride and lanesplit pretty aggressively. i don't do any peg scraping, but i do occasional trips of a few thousand miles.

i should also say that i've tested a fair number of bikes as a motojournalist, and have been riding for 45 years.

i've ridden the z1000, the tuono, the speed triple (on which i also did keith code's **excellent** wheelie class -ononewheel.com), the bmw k1200r, the 919, the buell M2, the superhawk (not naked, but a fun twin), the fz1 (ok, almost naked), a multistrada 1000, and the sv1000.

here's my admittedly biased take on the above bikes:

tuono: instant lust. feels like a bicycle with infinite power and superb brakes. my favorite, but not financially feasible right now.

z1000: perfect ergos for me, and a *great* engine. good brakes, more midrange than i expected. but i worry about the potential tankslapper that was mentioned by MCN.

919: (yawn). i must admit, i didn't get a chance to take it over 8K. it felt very competent, but not exciting.

k1200r: wow. major techno-lust. shifting suspension damping on the fly is |< [] [] |_ . plenty o' power.

sv1000: ow, my back! also, the front end felt a little vague after the tuono.

buell cyclone: great ergos, nice handling, but the suspension (unadjusted) was pretty harsh. amazingly smooth at freeway speeds, tho'.

speed triple: great brakes, great motor, great sound, and wonderful to wheelie.

multistrada: fun! kinda tall, but feels light, strong, and capable. if only i were married to a ducati mechanic . . .

fz1: amazing power. brakes ok. but it felt *big* compared to tuono, z1000, speed triple, buell.

superhawk: wonderful sound, great torque: might make the perfect streetfighter w/ suspension tweaked and ergos adjusted.

final thoughts: i LUV the tuono, but it's more bike than i'll ever need, and more than i can afford now. heck, i don't even use much of the potential of my current bmw r11rsl.

i think i'll just take off the rubber mounting from the bmw's handlebars, and use the money i save on some track schools to become a better rider.

and THEN, maybe, the tuono . . .

Fugaziiv 06-10-2006 01:25 AM

I've been riding an SV1000 since '03. While the seating is a bit more aggressive than the following years, I don't find it to be overly bad. The bike isn't telepathic like the 650, it takes a bit more 'man' to ride it fast, but the bike can be ridden very fast on the street. Out of the box, the suspension needs to be tweeked a little bit to get the most out of it. But first and foremost the bike is a blast to ride, it is very much a sport twin, with all the quirks and benefits associated. This year the bike got a bump in power and may very well be worth putting in this review. Besides, when a bike is just a panic to ride, and its actually affordable, whats not to like?

tomk2 06-10-2006 03:24 AM

What's the scoop on the thread with the gixxer frames? Did I miss something? It was there, now it's gone.

Gixxer frames failing is like people blowing up the bottom ends of SV650s due to crankshaft failure... you keep hearing about it happening but nobody in the motorcycle media wants to talk about it.

If it were Buell frames breaking apart I can think of a couple web sites that would be putting up expose articles daily (Superbike Planet for one).

longride 06-10-2006 03:41 AM

Your question was already answered on the crotch airbag thread. GO BACK AND READ IT AGAIN, AND TRY TO COMPREHEND WHAT IT SAID. Any adult could have read my response and understood why it was pulled. I guess the 'any adult' kinda left you off the end of the line? There is nothing left to say. Obviously you now need to act like a 5 year old that needs attention from his mommy. Go find her PLEASE! Isn't there anything else in your life? Maybe you need to go find Elvis or something.

longride 06-10-2006 03:48 AM

Just wanted to tell you that you didn't start any problem about why the story was pulled. I was going to answer you, but I don't do this thing 24/7. You can inquire any time about things here. Nobody has a problem with it. I reserve my best stuff for the true morons on the site, one of which is directly above me. Keep posting the good stuff that you do.