Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   MOtorcycle or MOped? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/3654-motorcycle-moped.html)

jibosch 06-08-2006 12:53 PM

Re: MOtorcycle or MOped?

Check-out the upcoming Honda DN-01... it may re-define many a category - 17" wheels, and a 680cc V-Twin with a 6 speed totally automatic transmission, plus a low seat height, and stereo and gps! Probably over $10,000 when it comes in though! You have to google it... Honda defines it as a sports tourer. They have a website for it in japan

orcyclist 06-08-2006 12:56 PM

How about a Yamaha FZR400? (er, forget that. Not a beginner bike.) I am 5'7" and don't consider myself short. Ever stand next to Tommy Hayden, Nicky, Loris Caparossi? All of them are just about your size.

Kawi 250/500650 are good starters. Get a used bike first because you WILL drop it and if it costs $2500, it will be less of a "big deal." Consider a naked bike so that when you drop it there will be no spendy fairings to get banged up.

Take the riding course and then actually go out and practice, practice, practice. Do not listen to every squid you see that tells you the right way to ride. Oh yeah, learn how to threshhold brake. Could save your life, no seriously, it could save your life. And please don't drink and ride, that's just plain dumb. Enough preaching outa me.

BrowningBAR 06-08-2006 01:23 PM

AH! Finally a bike that Sportbikers, cruiser riders and scooter lovers can all bash at the same time!

Gluge 06-08-2006 01:24 PM

You can find street legal Aprilia RS250's, 125's and 50's Just keep looking!

There are also NRS250's etc. and I think the VFR400 is about the same size and power as a RS250 ?

schizuki 06-08-2006 02:11 PM

There are plenty of pro sportbike racers who are jockey-sized.

I'm 5'8" (maybe) with a 32" (maybe) inseam. On my Bandit 600, I can get one foot almost flat. It's not a problem. I'm amused by people who feel they need to be able to put both feet flat on the ground to feel secure. I guess people who ride DP bikes with 35" seat heights must all be giants.

The Ninja 250 is a great choice. And 70 mpg!

akcarlson 06-08-2006 03:21 PM

Ah, good thinking. CBR400s aren't terribly pricey, and every now and again a GSX-R400 pops up in the states. Think about Bandit 400s, too. Those are stylish bikes (and they beat the Monster to the US market by 1 year with the trellis frame).

fastoldman 06-08-2006 03:24 PM

Jesus Christ! Who are you and what have you done with bigdx? Were you just being complementary towards mopeds and a Japanese bike? Up is down, black is white ... is nothing sacred?

PS Anonymous? He's right. I started on a Vespa. The only serious complaint I still have is the small tires, which can cause traction issues in the rain (don't ask), otherwise I was quite able to ride nearly at freeway speeds and know plenty of scooter squids who travel long distances on them. And bikes nowadays are super fast. I had a friend who started on a KZ650, musta made all of 45 horsepower, but that was enough for him to hit a corner too fast, lay it down and never ride again. You don't need much when you're beginning to have a ton of fun and get some experience. I'd look at the ninja 250, the Buell blast, any of the 600-695 Ducatis, single cylinder dual sports like the suzuki DR or Kawasaki klr, maybe a 88-90 hawk 650.

Whatever you do, relax when you ride. I know too many people who have seized up when they needed to calmly let the bike do its work - if you grip the bars too tight, the bike can't function as designed.

akcarlson 06-08-2006 03:27 PM

Re: Not too short bikes...

The CityX actually has a relatively tall seat height stock. Buell put on a taller, heavily padded dirtbike style seat for that model, though I'm reasonably confident that any Lightning seats are compatible on any of the sister models.

I like the CityX seating position quite a bit, but I'm 6'2", so I hardly count.

BMob 06-08-2006 03:47 PM

Ninja 250 indeed.

MPA 06-08-2006 04:09 PM

Try a Ninja 500. I'm 5'6" 150 w/ a 30" inseam and I can rach solidly w/ the balls of my feet.