Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-08-2006, 07:29 AM   #11
un_plug
Registered Member

Default Re: MOtorcycle or MOped?

Not a sportbike but sporty enough- the new Ducati Monster 695 should be low enought for you, and the broad torque is good for a newbies. Plus the engine is big enough that you won't outgrow it too fast.
un_plug is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2006, 07:54 AM   #12
jibosch
Registered Member

Check out the Buell Blast with the low seat option. Or the 883L Sportster, if you want something that heavy - 560lbs. dry... Enjoy! [And don't knock some of those Scooters, Honda's Silverwing and Suzuki's Burgman, will do over 110mph! And search-out Honda's upcoming DN-01, I think that it would surprise you!]. Please get a copy of David L. Hough's Street Strategies book also, as it may very well save your life, due to it's great advice on how to avoid potential riding traps. Each chapter is two pages, so it is an easy read!!!
jibosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:59 AM   #13
acecycleins
Founding Member

If your using the ride for daily commuting then my suggestion is a Suzuki Burgman 400s. Tons of storage, fine looks, great mileage and CHEAP to insure. BTW, it will easily cruise at HWY speeds.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:59 AM   #14
bigdx
Founding Member

"I like the sportbike look, something that looks fast. I'm new to the game, no experience at all on a bike"

The majority of bikes that look fast are fast. With no experience, a fast bike is not something you should be considering. YouÂ’ll find that even 'slow' bikes can actually go quite fast when compared to the average motorcar.

"I was thinking about getting a moped, but they are to slow for freeway and that's an insult to bikers"

No, they are only perceived as an insult by a couple of squids who think they are bikers, but actually belong behind an X-box rather than being out on the road. A number of moped/scooters are very capable machines and real motorcycles in their own right.

I suggest you go to a dealer and have a look at a few bikes and see what you feel comfortable on. The 250 ninja recommended above is a good starter bike, which should not be to heavy or too tall for you.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:21 AM   #15
NLJ
Founding Member

Sure they will do 110mph, but would you want to on those small tires?
NLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:21 AM   #16
samburnett
Founding Member

I am 5'5, 125lbs and I ride a BMW R1200RT without problem. The R1200ST has an even lower seat height. If you want a full blooded sport bike the K1200S is an option. I have riden all without problem.
samburnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:29 AM   #17
BikerJC
Founding Member

Your height and weight is meaningless in this equation. Buy a beginner bike or face certain trauma (psychological and possibly physical) as a squid.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:54 AM   #18
SRMark
Founding Member

Amen. Ricky Carmichael needs a mini-tramp to mount an MX bike. His size seems to make him faster.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:04 AM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Yeah, but one 157 gr .357 magnum hollowpoint hit really really hurts.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:07 AM   #20
Gritboy
Founding Member

Sit on some and you might be surprised that once you're rolling you don't have to super low to the ground to feel confident. You have a lot of options even for larger cc standard/naked bikes, but the Ninja 250, 500 and new 650R are the logical choices for low-seated sport bikes, but don't forget to check out some of the mini crusiers (250cc-600cc) if you still want a real bike and not a deathped. Other options are older bikes, or to check what taller bikes can be lowered to fit you, since some bikes are easy to lower. Also, sometimes a simple seat replacement will get you that extra inch or two needed.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote