Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-07-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
robinson281
Founding Member

Default Re: Picking a bike for a 6 footer

Consider the BMW F 650 GS and R 1200 GS. They have a comfortable upright position and lots of leg room. In fact, you will need long legs to get on to these bikes.
robinson281 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
SV650GLEN
Registered Member

1st

Suzuki SV1000

Kawasaki Concours
Old 06-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I can't believe you're paying for MOFo's opinions!

The Buell Ulysses is loaded with legroom by the way and you still get the Sportster sound.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #4
bmwdude
Founding Member

Eric,

Speaking as a 6'2" person. I have suffered the fact that many of my favorite bikes seem to have been made for....Shall we say, the vertically challenged. 999's as an example, torture to ride any distance but so much fun I just deal with it.

My regular ride is a BMW K bike. I have an overly long commute and use my K bike all year for that commute. It, like most BMW's fit tall folks well. Plus the heated grips and other gizmos make BMW a fun ride as well, even in cold weather. Maintenance is expensive and required every 6000 miles. Something to factor in picking a bike.

You might also consider the Japanese standards, tour bikes (goldwing) and sport tour bikes (st1300 and FJR??)

I hope this is of some help...
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Bandit, V-Strom, Bonneville, Daytona 955, BMW R1150R, ZX-14, Ducati Monsters.....heck, there are a lot of them. Go to all the dealers you can and sit on as many bikes as you can. Yamaha has about the poorest selection of bikes extant, especially considering how big the company is.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:31 AM   #6
bmwdude
Founding Member

I'm glad to hear that something can be done to keep the Ulysses from sounding like an early BMW K bike. They almost have a electric motor sound?

Unfortunately, I rode up to our local Buell dealer to get a look at one about 4 weeks ago only to find that they stopped selling Buells! I was shocked, but it seems no one here was buying them. This is sad, because I was ready to buy that day. There is another dealer that's just a few miles further away, but folks I know who have dealt with them have nothing good to say about their service department. Not to worry though, I'll eventually get a deal worked out on a Ulysses. I just need to plan on service being a pain because of the long trip to find a dealer. Nothing new, I have to take my BMW 80 miles to the nearest dealer. Living in the middle of nowhere has it's down side...
Old 06-07-2006, 11:37 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

It's a good thing you're 6-2 because at 5-10, I was totally tippy toe on the Uly.

All four dealers in the San Diego area carry Buell. You just have to sit in hours of traffic to get to them!

Living in the middle of everywhere has it's downside too I suppose.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #8
Looking_4_a_Bike
Founding Member

I am 6'9 so I know what your feeling and then some.

Cruiser I would go with a Victory 8-Ball, look better than the Harleys and still have that "Go USA" resale value and respect.

Street bike who ever mentioned the V-Strom is right on it. Ugly, but easily the most praised all around bike. Great for us tall people.

Yamaha the only one that fits the bill would be an old FZ1. The 2006 is too sporty sounding for you. Yamaha's cruisers are good but the resale value and respect just is not there. I am not saying that 'right' just saying how it is.
Looking_4_a_Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:51 AM   #9
bmwdude
Founding Member

Dude, @ 6'9" I'd think "respect" would take care of it's self? Even if you were on a Vespa?

Old 06-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #10
umarth
Founding Member

In reality, any motorcycle is pretty comfortable. Get on a road bicycle sometime and ride around for a couple hours and then jump on a motorcycle. It will feel like an Easy Boy.

If you kinda want a touring bike I've read things on the new BMW F800 series and they sound really good. They look sharp, have good wind protection and fall in your price range? Also, there is a BMW dealer right by the Portland Airport.

Further more, I'm a Portland brother and I am six even and I've been riding a SV650 year-round for a couple years now. It'll do some good mileage, though 60 miles is my limit at 80mph. If you want, I can tell you some good places to head out to for weekend scoots.

Someone mentioned something about an old fazer. I'd say go for it.
umarth is offline   Reply With Quote